AQ/D12 - Main Sickbay
==
LCdr Lim didn't have enough time on the Geronimo to be sentimental about leaving the ship. As they arrived at DS9 Lois was more interested in seeing what type of ship USS Aquila (the Eagle) was and if her wish had come true. A capital ship it was. Lois couldn't wait to board and inspect the Sickbay.

Lois had arranged for her luggage and belongings to be moved to her quarters so that she didn't have to drag it over herself. That gave her more time to inspect the Sickbay. That was her priority. She was delighted when she first entered. Surgical suits on the right, main Sickbay spreading out before her to her left. She walked slowly along the two rows of bio beds, seven to the right and eight to her left in the main Sickbay. She silently counted them as she proceeded and came to a second entrance and directly opposite to the entrance a fully equipped triage bay next door to the intensive care.

Most likely that's the main entrance seeing it is nearest the triage bay. Looks like I came in the secondary entrance.

Turning her eyes forward again she saw it, a door with a label, "CMO" and under that label was another label "Quarantine". She chuckled.

What does that mean? I'm under continually quarantine? I'm going to have to change that!

Entering brought her into a waiting room of sorts with two doors, one in front of Lois labelled 'CMO's Office' and another to her right labelled "Quarantine"

Well, that's a relief!

Lois sat herself down at the CMO's desk and was feeling completely satisfied with herself, she had made it! She began by looking through the personnel file of Sickbay staff and began to read, noting that Red Reddington from the Geronime had transferred to the Aquila, as well. That was one person she knew. The others she didn't know but she figured she would schedule a meeting of all the staff as soon as all had reported aboard.

After a few minutes had past, as she read through some of the career biographies of some of the senior medical staff, the CMO's office door swished open and a Lieutenant in a medical uniform entered, a human male stopped in his tracks, with shock on his face, staring at the female (Lois) sitting at the CMO's desk.

"And you are?" stated the human medical officer, "Wait a minute, are you Dr Lim the new CMO?"

"That's me, in the flesh. And you ... are...?" ask Lois, slowly.

"DCMO Lt Harry Langston, mama, sir." Harry answered.

"You can call me Lois, that's fine when we're not with patients, otherwise Dr Lim, in professional situations, please?"

"OK, Lois. You can call me, Harry," said Dr Langston, "I don't mean to forward, Lois, but would you like to get a coffee or something else to drink or eat in Ten Forward. We could chat and get to know each other before all the medical staff come aboard? Harry asked nervously.

"Well, that would be nice, Harry. I have a few things to do first, like report to the captain, protocol stuff, and find my quarters. Could we say, an hour and I'll meet you there? Oh... Could you schedule a meeting of all medical staff, say 0900 tomorrow, please? Lois requested, as she began to move to the door on her way to report to the captain.

"OK, sure, can do. And meeting 0900 tomorrow, all medical staff. See you at Ten Forward in an hour then." repeated Harry as he awkwardly moved out of the new CMO's way.

Lois was pleased with her first meeting with her deputy, although she would have liked to have chosen her own deputy. But it was a big ship, captain's prerogative, she reminded herself. And speaking of big ships, now all she had to do was find her way to the bridge, her quarters and then Ten Forward.

>> Bridge >>
<< Crew Quarters <<.

As Jez and Commander Talion made their way towards Sickbay, Jez could feel her tensing up, it was one thing to have Commander Talions Holographic EMH/ Nanny examine her, but to have Dr. Lim examine her was something else, but at least  Jez knew Dr. Lim as they had served together on the Geronimo, but still it didn’t make things any easier.

Jez walked along casually and there was kind of an awkward silence the Jez spoke . “ Commander Talion, last night I came up with another option. I’am curious to know what you think. I could have the baby and then let my Grandmother on Betazed raise the baby; that way it wouldn't interfere with my career and I wouldn’t have to worry about the dangers of serving on a Star Ship with a baby.” Said Jez.

When Jez actually said that out loud she realized how awful that sounded, it was on par with how her parents raised her.

The doors to sickbay opened and Jez stepped in and it wasn’t too crowded. She spotted a few faces she recognized from the Geronimo.

They must be having their physicals.

This Sickbay was huge compared to the closet like Sickbay on the Geronimo. Doctors and nurses were calling out orders. “I need 10 CC's of this or 20 CC’s of that, it was very interesting to see people in the medical establishment working. The Bio Bed monitors people's Blood pressure and pulse.

Jes saw a woman with a little girl, the little girl was crying as she had skinned her knee running . She had heard the woman say that the girl had been running chasing her kitten around their quarters and the little girl had fallen on the carpet and skinned her knee. Jez couldn’t help but be moved by this tender scene.   

Then a Bolian Nurse came up to Jez and asked if she needed help. Jez was a little nervous, she didn’t want everyone in sickbay to hear her.  “Yes Please, I need to see Dr. Lim on an urgent matter.” Said Jez He voice just above a whisper.

“Excuse me, I didn’t quite hear that. ?” Replied the Bolian.  Jez looked around to make sure no one was in earshot. “I need to see Dr. Lim, on a private matter of great urgency.”  Jez could feel the butterflies starting to form in her stomach, as within the next few minutes her life was going to change forever.

== Tag Talion and Lim. ==
<<< Crew Quarters <<<

s they walked, Talion tried to answer her as best he could, "That is presuming a great deal. First of all, your grandmother is now much older and how she might raise someone at her current age will be different than you or your mother would. Secondly, that's something you're going to need to talk to her about and see if it is something she is willing to do. It takes a great deal of time and energy to raise a child. I've been doing it for a while now and it is a full time job in itself. Don't forget that it is going to take a number of very uncomfortable months before the child is born and there is very little that you're going to be able to do in your career field that will be permitted while on a light duty waiver on a ship. This is going to change your entire career track permanently. You would be sidelined not just while pregnant, but for a number of weeks after, while you recover. Fortunately, medical science has come a long way, so few women die in childbirth anymore, but it does happen. The process forever changes your body in the process. That said, many women are able to return to a fully active lifestyle afterward, but I want you to have no misconceptions about this being a process that will be life changing in many ways. Given your age and the timing of this, I would seriously suggest considering any options that might be available to delay this for the moment. At the very least, you should take time to evaluate your situation and your options, including having some touch conversations with your family. I might make it look easy, but I had lots of help and I still have help, their just...well...not real people while on the ship, that's all."

When they entered Sickbay, Talion let her speak first. When the technician appeared confused, Alex spoke up, "A simple scan will reveal that she'll require an exam by a doctor and a standard prenatal briefing with report to her chain of command, depending on what the young lady decides. I'm just here in support of a friend, as I'm sure you can understand."

This caused the technician to raise an eyebrow, give a nod and directed Ens Mala over to a bio-bed.

Talion then looked around with a eye for the technical aspects of the new Sickbay. He seemed to approve of all that he was seeing. He commented, "I was never big on the medical side of my research. It was necessary, as it involved neural implants to interface with the signals from the brain to control various functions, but I put most of my focus on the details of the hardware itself. Some of my prosthetics were revolutionary in how the user was able to feel as if they were the real thing. When a patient is able to forget that they are using a device instead of their original limb, then you're able to seriously give back some quality of life they might not have otherwise been able to have. It's hard to imagine now that it was that research that really got things going. Synthetics have come a long way since then."

== Tag Jez while waiting for Doctor Lim to chime in ==
== NPC Lt Andromeda Tate ==

Andrea quietly entered Sickbay and looked around. The facilities were impressive. She was dressed in comfortable civilian business attire, but it still managed to look attractive. Spotting Ens Mala, she waited until the technician had walked away before approaching.

She greeted Talion first, "Alex, good to see you again." They shared a brief but friendly hug. "I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well, but I admit that I'm surprised to see you outside of your fortress of solitude."

He chuckled and asked, "Are you assigned to the ship?"

Andrea smiled warmly and shook her head, "No, I'm here on Federation business." She turned and looked at Jez, "Actually I'm here to talk to your new friend, Jez." She quickly held up a hand to Ens Mala, "Don't worry, I know that you're very busy with all of THIS right now. Do what you came here to deal with and we can talk after you're done. Once you're back at your quarters, I'll come find you."

Turning back to Alex, she said, "Don't sorry, I won't leave without coming by to be properly introduced to Reyna. We can catch up then."

Andrea then informed one of the staff that when the CMO had a minute, she needed to speak with her about one of her patients that was on the ship.

== Tag to Doctor Lim for Tate... a busy morning... ==
Dr Lim came to the main sickbay as soon as she was called, the Bolian nurse greeted her immediately and quietly spoke to the Chief Medical Officer, nodding toward Ens Mala sitting on a bio bed. Lois approached the group standing around her.

'Hello Ens Mala, Commander Talion lovely to see you again," She said and nodded to the very attractive unknown civilian woman, "Hello, I'm Dr Lim."

Hmm, Commander Talion has a girlfriend?

When the introductions were over, Lois spoke to Ens Mala again, "You asked to see me?' Lois sensed some habitation in the Ensign and asked "Um, is this something that we need to speak in private about, Ensign? We could go into the CMO's office, if you'd like.

==Tag Mala, Talion and Lt Tate ==
== If the offer is taken up to move to the CMO's office, just start you post there, Talion and Tale can come in too, if you would like? It's up to you Ens Mala. ==
Jez was slightly surprised by Commander Talion's thoughts about her Grandmother raising her baby. What Commander Talion didn’t realize was that Jez’s Grandmother was a formidable woman, and had the energy and drive of a much younger woman. Jez’s Grandmother took excellent care of herself, plus like most Betazoid Aristocratic women, she had a staff who helped her; but as she had thought about it. It would be like how her parents raised her, from a distance and that wouldn’t be fair to the child.

When Commander Talon remarked on a woman's body not bouncing back after having a baby, she found that a little insulting, like men don’t get a bit paunchy after they become fathers.

The Bolian Nurse directed Jez to a nearby bio bed. Jez hopped but sat on the edge with her legs dangling, her pulse was rapid, she just wanted this to be over, she couldn’t help but feel as if everyone in Sick Bay was watching her , of course it was all in her imagination.

Just then a familiar voice spoke, "Alex, good to see you again." Jez watched as Commander Talion and the woman that Jez recognized as Lt. Tate shared a brief but friendly hug. "I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well, but I admit that I'm surprised to see you outside of your fortress of solitude."

Hmmm, Commander Talion is clearly well known for his eccentric nature.

Commander Talion  chuckled and asked, "Are you assigned to the ship?"

Lt. Tate  smiled warmly and shook her head, "No, I'm here on Federation business." She turned and looked at Jez, "Actually I'm here to talk to your new friend, Jez." She quickly held up a hand to Ens Mala, "Don't worry, I know that you're very busy with all of THIS right now. Do what you came here to deal with and we can talk after you're done. Once you're back at your quarters, I'll come find you."

Jez smiled and returned the Lieutenants greeting. The Lieutenant said something that caught Jez’s attention: the emphasis on the word THIS, did Lieutenant Tate know what was going on? How did she find out? It’s not that Jez didn’t like or trust Lieutenant Tate, it’s just Jez wasn’t even sure what she was going to do, at least not yet.

“Oh…umh…yes of course Lieutenant Tate.” Said Jez, sounding a little bewildered.

'Hello Ens Mala, Commander Talion, lovely to see you again," She said and nodded to the very attractive unknown civilian woman, "Hello, I'm Dr Lim."  Said Dr. Lim, her lovely Metso voice so soft on the ear.

When the proper introduction had completed Dr. Lim spoke to Jez again, "You asked to see me?' Jez shifted slightly,  "Um, is this something that we need to speak in private about, Ensign? We could go into the CMO's office, if you'd like.”

Jez looked around to make sure no one was within listening distance, once Lt. Tate was gone. Jez took a deep breath. “ No Doctor here is fine.  Yes, I asked to see you Dr. Lim. I.. I.. Umh… umh... I need you to confirm something for me.  I have reason to suspect that I’m pregnant.” Said Jez her voice a mix of sadness and relief.  She looked over at Commander Talion. “Oh Dr. Lim you can talk freely  Commander Talion knows what's going on.

== Tag Talion, Lim and Tate. ==
== Tate walked off to the side, deliberately keeping her distance for the sake of the patients. She would wait for Lim to finish first. ==
Much in contrast to when Dr. Lim and Talion had first met, this time he was much quieter and spoke much softer. He was here in support of Mala, giving her someone to lean on a bit. He gave a nod to Lim and simply replied, "Doctor Lim..."

Letting Jez take a the lead, Alex calmly let the moment unfold in front of him. He could feel the confusion within Jez, when Andrea spoke to her. The young woman seemed unaware of how strongly she tended to broadcast her thoughts and feelings. She guarded some of her most inner thoughts and and could keep the thoughts and emotions of others from becoming distracting or annoying, but he feared that she had not gotten a strong enough foundation in her mental training as a child.

Alex worried about her perspective, but she was young and there was little that could be done to help that. Like so many other young women, she was going to have to make some very difficult choices and none of them were easy. He has taken care to not allow himself to be caught in such a situation, but it was easy for him to say such things. He knew it was wrong to presume everyone had his opportunities and privilege as they grew up. Ultimately, he couldn't make her decisions for her and he was not going to have to live with the results. Right or wrong, Jez would decide and then she would go about her life. Alex had certainly made his own share of mistakes, but the wisdom of years was not a gift the young could appreciate...yet.
Dr Lim noticed that Jez looked around to make sure no one was within listening distance, once the other civilian dressed woman had moved away. “No Doctor here is fine. Yes, I asked to see you Dr. Lim. I.. I.. Umh… umh... I need you to confirm something for me. I have reason to suspect that I’m pregnant.” Said Jez her voice a mix of sadness and relief. She looked over at Commander Talion. “Oh Dr. Lim you can talk freely Commander Talion knows what's going on."

Dr Lim had to physically keep her expression from expressing her surprise, she was a professional and had practiced keeping her body language and words to a calm medium in stressful situations.

"Ok, why don't I take some scans and confirm your suspicions one way or the other, hmm?" Lois walked to the cabinet where the medical tricorders are stored and returned with one to Jez's bedside. "Please lie down on the bed for me Jez. Lois then slowly scanned Jez's pelvic/abdominal region. She looked up at the bio bed readout, looked at the results on the tricorder and smiled.

She paused for a second considering the effect the news may have on Jez. But the truth couldn't be denied just because of the effect it may have on an individual.

"Well Jez, you are most definitely pregnant, very early in pregnancy, I might add," and Dr Lim waited to see Jez's response. She had a feeling that this news may not be good for Jez, so she didn't congratulate or commiserate with Jez. Lois just waited to see her response. That would determine any further steps Lois would take.
Jez wasn’t sure what to expect, this wasn’t something she had considered in her life, at least not yet. She was young and had no experience with children, she had never even babysat a child; let alone give birth to one. She never even had a pet.

"Ok, why don't I take some scans and confirm your suspicions one way or the other, hmm?" Said Dr. Lim. Jez watched as Dr. Lim walked to the cabinet where the medical tricorders are stored and returned with one to Jez's bedside. "Please lie down on the bed for me Jez.” Dr. Lim then slowly scanned Jez's pelvic/abdominal region. She looked up at the biobed readout, looked at the results on the tricorder, and smiled.

The smile said it all Jez’s life just hit a brick wall at full force. She could feel her emotions churning, like a Hurricane, on one level she was happy that it was confirmed, but on another level she was disappointed. Yes, Commander Talion and her discussed several options, but the fact remained that Jez would be a single mother in a very dangerous career. If she had someone special to share her life with that would be one thing, to have an Imzadi would make it easier, someone special to help raise their child together, but she had no intention of raising a child with a man like Renkarn Ukinix, he made a Klingon Targ look good.

Jez lay there her thoughts churning and tumbling over each other. She could feel her heart racing. She just wanted to get up and run away as fast as she could. She had let so many people down by becoming pregnant, people whom she loved greatly

"Well Jez, you are most definitely pregnant, very early in pregnancy, I might add," Said Dr. Lim. Jez looked at her, knowing that the Doctor probably had given that news to many happy people who were expecting that bit of happy news.

Jez looked over at Commander Talion and images of Reyna filled her mind. Commander Talion was a wonderful father, she could picture him holding a baby in his arms rocking a baby gently as he sang a baby a lullaby. Jez then said, “ Dr. Lim Commander Talion had mentioned something about Cryo Stasis, that you could place the fetus in Cryo Stasis until I’m ready to be a mother. Is that possible? If not, what other options are available?” Replied Jez, her tone at best uncertain.

== Tag All. ==
“Dr. Lim, Commander Talion had mentioned something about Cryo Stasis, that you could place the fetus in Cryo Stasis until I’m ready to be a mother. Is that possible? If not, what other options are available?” Replied Jez, her tone at best uncertain.

Dr Lois Lim's blood boiled when she heard that Commander Talion had been giving medical advice to a young pregnant woman who was in an emotional whirlpool. Scientist or not, how dare he!. But this was not the time to take the well-meaning Commander Talion to task and possibly destroy Jez's faith in a relationship which Lois could see was developing into friendship. She was very aware that she needed to be professional and detached from the emotions of the situation. Jez was now seeking appropriate medical advice, and Lois knew that was a step in the right direction and she'd best not blow it with an out bust of rage toward the good-natured, but inappropriately good-meaning, Commander Talion.

Lois began with a calm and clear voice, hoping that her facial expression and body language at this moment had not given away her rage at Commander Talion who stood a meter or so away from the good doctor.

"Well Jez, yes there are a number of options, and there are three people involved here, yourself, the baby and the father, who need to be considered. Yes, Cryo statis is one option, but there are, as with all the options, some inherent risks for yourself and the baby and moral issues that you would need to consider before taking that step," Dr Lim said.

"Termination is another option. Again, it has its inherent risks for both you and the baby and morally that you would need, I'm not sure what the right word to use here is, but let's say 'to be comfortable with', if you decided on that option. Adoption is another and/or having a carer for the baby, a relative or friend is another option that needs to be thought through," Dr Lim continued.

Lim was slowly coming to the hard end of this preliminary conversation. "Carrying the baby to birth is another option, it has risks as well and there are a number of protocols that would come into play on a Federation Star Ship as a Federation officer who is pregnant. Your pregnancy is in a very early stage, so you have time to think seriously through them, some of these options are time sensitive, in other words the longer you wait the higher the risks."

"I would also recommend seeking help from the ship's counselor or someone who has skills to help you talk about your feelings and emotions before making a decision. Perhaps even talking to some of the mothers on the ship, your mother perhaps, those who have experience of child birth and raising children on a Starship. It would give you a broader, more long term perspective. And of course, discussing them with the father. It is his child as much as yours, at least give him the option to be involved or not."

"I know this is overwhelming, a lot to take in, Jez. I am available for you to talk through the details of these options, benefits and risks, or anything else." Dr Lim was almost finished, there was just one more issue to be explained. This one was often a shock to some officers, they often felt they were being treated with kid gloves for no good reason.

Lois hesitated before she began to speak, searching for the words. She had the words for the medical stuff, but this wasn't medical. It was rules, standard procedure and it only affected women who were pregnant. Discrimination? No. It just the way it is with females because they're female.

"There is another consideration that I wonder if you are aware of, and that is the effect this pregnancy has on you and your career, because at some stage soon, if you do not, I will need to inform the captain and your department head, that you are pregnant. The captain, as do all of us on this ship, has a duty of care for all the members of the crew. In your case, that duty of care prescribes that you would be put on light duties only and it would significantly restrict your active duties, especially being a security officer. No away missions, no duties where there is any possibility that harm may come to you or your baby. You may even be taken off the active-duty roster altogether, depending on the circumstance that prevails at any specific time."

Lois waited a long time for that all to sink in. The noises of sickbay became louder in the silence that prevailed in their little corner. The Chief Medical officer, with a hint of sadness sounding, finally spoke, "I'm sorry Jez, this is a military organisation, like it or not, and these are the rules. If you want to talk more about this, my door is always open."

== Tag all this little group in a little corner of sickbay ==
It didn't take a telepath to pick up on Lim's displeasure at hearing that Talion had apparently made suggestions about medical care. He briefly rolled his eyes, but when she had finished what she needed to say, he did speak up, if in an apologetic tone, "My apologies, Doctor Lim. She is correct in that I did list that option in a long list of possible options that I speculated about. She asked and I was as honest as I could be with her, but to be clear, I stressed to her, in no uncertain terms, that she needed to come in this morning and seek the attention and guidance of you and your department. I did not speak to her so much as an officer, but simply as a friend, though I confess that much of what you said echoes my own words, perhaps adding weight to both."

His expression turned more sympathetic as he looked to Jez, "The rest is really up to her now."
Jez felt bad that Commander Talion had to justify being a gentleman helping a junior officer in her time of need.  Jez felt her face turn red and her pulse quicken.

“Oh no Doctor Lim, Commander Talion is very intelligent, caring, and charming. If more men were like Commander Talion, marriages may last longer than most marriages today.  He's here for moral support.” Said Jez, her voice filled with pride for her friend.

Before anyone could comment Jez had made up her mind, she had wrestled with her decision all night long, and seeing how gallant and considerate Commander Talion was helped her come to her decision.  She was being unfair to her unborn child, it wasn’t the baby’s fault that Renkarn was a horrible, arrogant, and abusive man and the baby shouldn’t be judged by the character, actions and faults of its father. Jez was confident that with love, caring, and the right environment the baby could overcome any possible physiological and personality shortcomings inherited from its father.

“ I’ve made a decision. I’m going to have the baby, BUT at a future time, when I’m ready. Dr. Lim I want the fetus placed in cryo-stasis.” Said Jez, her voice was a bit strained from holding back her tears, but she was confident she made the right decision. 

== Tag All. ==
It was now Talion's turn to blush a little. He was not accustomed to a young lady defending his behavior in such a way. His mind briefly flashed back to his own marriage. His union with her had been relatively brief and certainly ended tragically, but they had been extremely happy for that short time. When it came to such things, as he so often did on personal matters, he simply remained silent.

Jez then finally made a decision and seemed confident in her declaration of it. Alex could see her fighting back tears in the moment though, so he instinctively reached over and simply placed a hand on her shoulder, so that she could feel his empathic support in this vulnerable situation. After all, it was the real reason that he was asked to stand there at that moment, so he was good to his word and was being supportive. He could feel the emotional turmoil within her and knew that it was simply a wave that she had to ride through to the end, but not alone.
Jez was a little startled when Commander placed his hand on her shoulder, he radiated a warmth, not a physical warmth per se; but rather an emotional warmth It just seemed to flow like a gentle summer breeze, she felt comfortable around him. In many ways, he reminded her of her beloved Teddy Bear, Sensi. Jez wished that Michael was here now, she missed talking with him.  The two of them would spar. She could tell him her deepest secrets and was getting the same feeling from Commander Talion.

He is so kind and handsome. If I could raise my baby with a man like him, that would be amazing.  Thought Jez. Jez looked at Commander Talion and smiled and mouthed the words, “Thank You.”  and bowed her head slightly.

Jez understood the basic technology of the Cryonic-Stasis, but she had a million questions. like,  Would the baby feel anything? Would the baby be aware of its surroundings? Would it hurt the baby?  How long would the baby be able to survive in cryo-stasis? What if Jez decided to wait five or ten years to carry the baby; would the embryo still be viable?

Relax Jez, I’m sure the doctor will explain everything in detail. 

Jez smiled and waited for Doctor Lim to explain. Jez liked Dr. Lim, she was kind and considerate. On their last mission the doctor surprised Jez by getting in between Commander Said and the angry mob while Commander Said had a phaser in her hand.

== Tag All. ==
Dr lim watched the interaction between Jez and Cdr Talion, and a sudden thought rush through her mind as the Commander placed a loving hand on Jez's shoulder, and she responded with a smile and whispered words.

My God, Talion is the father! Surely NOT! No. no. I'm not thinking that. I'm not going there! Not my problem! Could he be??

Clearing that ugly thought, she concentrated on the problems that would need to be answered. "Jez, I'm sure you have many questions, but to my mind you seem to have made up your mind very quickly. I suggest we rest here, and tomorrow and we will go through all the pros and cons, what happens in the procedure and the like and of course two main questions that have come to my mind. When will you know you are ready to have this child? And, if the child is to be in cryo for a very long time, then I don't believe the child can or should be stored on this ship, considering the dangers a star ship sometimes gets into that may cause the cyro to fail or be destroyed. We would need to consult with the captain before any procedure takes place and have a plan as to where the child would be stored long term and how we get it there safely. What if something happens to you in the meantime, what would you want for your frozen child if it was impossible for you in the future to give birth to the child, or you die before you give birth? What would you want to be done for the child?" and she added one more thought, "And I insist that the father is consulted."

Dr Lim's last sentence was said without anger or moral authority, it was simply said as a statement of fact, a condition that Dr Lim felt she needed to insist. This whole thing was a veritable mind field of personal, emotion, moral and practical taps for all concerned and needed to be negotiated slowly and carefully, in consultation, and mature discussion so that this young woman was well guided in what she was wanting.

But Dr Lim, with all her professionalism, still had her personal feelings, moral attitudes, buried under that professionalism, which bubbled to the surface momentarily.

[i]So this poor child is going to be a toy that we put on ice, until the mother/father wants to play family? Who are we, to decide? An earth historian in the 21st century coin the term, "The animal that became god." Sometimes, I wonder if 'sentient life' really means too damn smart for our own good.[i/]

"Use this time to mull over the issues I have mentioned and tomorrow we will talk again and start working through some of the practicalities. In the meantime, I will speak to the captain. Shall we meet say 1400hrs tomorrow in my office?"

== Tag all present. ==
Alex became a bit more serious and said to Jez, "Yes, you shouldn't rush into anything. I can also look into the legalities. As a member of the First House, I can inquire about the best course of legal action involving the father. You said he was quite the rogue and I'm sure that there is a history there. You wouldn't need his permission to have this procedure, but it will open you up to possible custody litigation and other possible concerns. I think it wise to trust Doctor Lim on the medical side of things, as she would never compromise your safety or that of your child. My family is...shall we say...formidable...in such matters of legal and political affairs. If this individual has done your wrong, then there is no legal place for him to hide. We can most certainly give you a solid basis for protection though. Remember that in Betazoid society women tend to hold the upper hand, so even if her were to try and act against you, he would have an uphill fight. Don't stress yourself over this. You have more than enough to think about, so that is the least of your concerns right now. Get some rest and then speak with the good doctor tomorrow, yes?"

Alex then turned to Lim and with appreciation evident in his eyes, simply said, "Thank you, Doctor Lim."
== After the good Cdr Talion and the pregnant Ens Jez Mala have left Sickbay ==

Dr Lim returned to the CMO office and immediately requested an urgent meet for the next morning concerning an important medical issue, through the ships internal messaging system, to Captain Brook, LCdr Kurasa, Cdr Talion and Ens Jez Mala. Lois sent this sensitive information in an encrypted message because of the nature of the subject, to ensure patient privacy, except on a need-to-know basis.

The message read:

To: Captain Brook, LCdr Kurasa, Cdr Talion, Ens Mala.
Message: I request an urgent meeting with you in Sickbay tomorrow at 10.00 hrs to discuss an urgent medical situation concerning Ens Mala's current condition.

Ens Mala presented to me today and was found to be pregnant with a child. After a long discussion concerning alternatives Ens Mala decided to have the embryo frozen, so the child could be born at another time of her choosing. I need to discuss with all parties the safe storage of the frozen embryo, whether on this ship or at another location. Your attendance would be greatly appreciated.

LCdr Lois Lim,
Chief Medical Officer.

End Message
== The following day 10.00 hrs - Chief Medical Officer's Office, Deck 12 Main Sickbay ==
== Assuming all the invites have arrived. ==

"Thank you all for coming to this meeting," said LCdr Lim as she closed and locked the door to ensure privacy and that they were not disturbed, "and my apologies to you Ens Mala, if I have caused any discomfort or embarrassment to you by call members of the senior staff to discuss your medical condition... So, let's get started."

"As you all know, Ens Mala is pregnant. The Father is not here and as per Ens Mala expresses wishes and will not be involved. I might add, this is against my advice but I bow to the Ensign's wishes in this matter."

"The procedure is relatively quite simple and I've discussed this with Ens Mala earlier this morning. To bring all of us up to speed, we have the medical equipment and expertise to go ahead with the procedure Ens Mala has requested, to place the embryo into cryostasis until such time as Jes is ready to give birth. I will do the procedure and Dr Langston will assist me. Without going into the technical jargon basically we will perform a site-to-site medical transport transfer of the embryo to the cryostasis chamber. The chamber is quite small and compact. The procedure is not painful, or harmful to the mother or child. The child can be kept in cryostasis for ... well, eternity, as long as there is a power supply, which is minimal, and the chamber is maintained correctly and the state of the embryo is monitored regularly for any changes."

"So, I have recommended to Jez that we find a suitable facility off the ship where the protection for the child and the chamber are at a premium."

"I'll open up this for discussion now, and I'll ask you, Captain, is my recommendation possible at this time? And I'd just remind everyone we are here to discuss the placement of the cryochamber with the child and how that may be achieved, given we are on a Federation Starship about to go on a mission."

I fear this will not go down well, but I'll see how it goes. Lois nervously waited for the captain's answer and for the discussion to begin.

== Tag Captain Books and anyone else who wants to chime in, Ens Mala, LCdr Kurasa, Cdr Talion. ==
Jez could tell by Dr. Lim’s body language and tone that she thought Commander Talion was the baby’s father. Jez had to smile at that. Oh, Commander Talion was certainly handsome, and yes kind, a real gentleman, any woman would be proud to call him her man, but he was a bit old for her; not to mention physically he wasn’t her type.

Jez was relieved that Commander Talion’s family was so influential.  The First House of Betazed:  The House of Honesty & Truth was well known among the Betazeds. Jez was fortunate to have a friend like Commander Talion.

“ Dr. Lim,  I have to ask, you don’t think that Commander Talion and I, I mean he is handsome, gallant, and intelligent… but ..but ..ewww..!!! No…we are just good friends.” Said Jez.  Jez couldn’t let people think that Commander Talion was anything but noble and honorable, he would never take advantage of a young woman; after all he had a little girl of his own. 

Jez knew that she was going to have a daughter, even though it was too early to tell the baby’s sex, it’s just she had a feeling,

“ Sothrica Alexanderia’s father is a vile disgusting man, I will not raise my daughter with a man like that.” Said Jez. Her voice was tainted with a little bit of anger. “ As far as when I hope to have my baby, I don’t know, that would depend on my career path and how long the baby can be kept in cryo-stasis.” Said Jez.

Dr. Lim had given Jez a lot to think about. What if something did happen to Jez, what would happen to her baby; she couldn’t let Renkarn raise her daughter, but judging by his reaction to Jez being a Hybrid he would probably disown the child.

“ Thank You, Doctor Lim. I will mull over what you have said and we can discuss this tomorrow. “ Said Jez.

Jez collected herself and departed sickbay, she decided to head to her quarters.

>> Jez’s quarters.>>
== The following day 10.00 hrs - Chief Medical Officer's Office, Deck 12 Main Sickbay ==

Captain Brooks headed down to Sickbay, he had very little discussion with any of the crew so far and this was a life changing decision they were making. The Captain entered the Chief Medical Officers Office, the layout and style transported him back to when he was sat in Lim's chair as CMO of the Copernicus and the Sheridan.

"Thank you all for coming to this meeting," said LCdr Lim as she closed and locked the door bringing the Captain back into the room and why he had been invited, "and my apologies to you Ens Mala, if I have caused any discomfort or embarrassment to you by call members of the senior staff to discuss your medical condition... So, let's get started."

"As you all know, Ens Mala is pregnant. The Father is not here and as per Ens Mala expresses wishes and will not be involved. I might add, this is against my advice but I bow to the Ensign's wishes in this matter."

Captain Brooks brow farrowed at this revelation which made him wonder exactly how did this pregnancy come to be in the first place.
The doctor explained what was to happen,

"The procedure is relatively quite simple and I've discussed this with Ens Mala earlier this morning. To bring all of us up to speed, we have the medical equipment and expertise to go ahead with the procedure Ens Mala has requested, to place the embryo into cryostasis until such time as Jes is ready to give birth. I will do the procedure and Dr Langston will assist me. Without going into the technical jargon basically we will perform a site-to-site medical transport transfer of the embryo to the cryostasis chamber. The chamber is quite small and compact. The procedure is not painful, or harmful to the mother or child. The child can be kept in cryostasis for ... well, eternity, as long as there is a power supply, which is minimal, and the chamber is maintained correctly and the state of the embryo is monitored regularly for any changes."

"So, I have recommended to Jez that we find a suitable facility off the ship where the protection for the child and the chamber are at a premium."

"I'll open up this for discussion now, and I'll ask you, Captain, is my recommendation possible at this time? And I'd just remind everyone we are here to discuss the placement of the cryochamber with the child and how that may be achieved, given we are on a Federation Starship about to go on a mission."

Captain Brooks looked around at the others in the room before saying,

"Having been a Chief Medical Officer myself, I know we would want to protect the baby the best we can. We will have to keep it on ship until we get to the starbase or federation medical facility then we know it won't be a game of catch up with the other ship when Ensign Mala here would like to have her child. She will know exactly where to go. However, the Aquila does have the equipment on board to be able to handle this until we are able to make a transfer which may not be in the near future."

Knowing where they were currently in space it would be a few days before they could get near a starbase and he was waiting on orders.

==Tag Lim and all==

Dr Lim was surprised that one, the captain used to be a CMO, and two, that he made it sound so easy.

"Captain, Jez, if I could make a suggestion, perhaps the cryochamber could be housed in Jez's quarters, Jez would be the ideal person to keep an eye of the chamber and the child embryo, its fairly simple to monitor cryochamber and its occupant, it doesn't need 24 hr monitoring, checking it twice a day would ample. You would be able to maintain your normal duties on the ship. Of course, once we are at a Starbase the cryonic unit could be handed over to their cryo-team for permanent storage and monitoring, until you were ready, Jez."

"How would you feel about that, Jez?" asked Dr Lim, and she looked around at everyone in the room to gage the meeting mood.

== tag Jez, and others ==
Shione was of mixed feelings realizing that while this was all along a personal matter, it also strayed into impacting the Ensign's ability to do her duty to the ship. This was a huge ship and unlike other vessels there were more than a few civilians aboard and as expected that did in fact complicate matters on an ongoing basis for the Security chief.

She understood why Talion had kept it from her but silently admitted to herself that she was disappointed that he was not the one to let her in on this big secret. His friendship meant more than her disappointment in his silence, however and she would remain silent on the matter.
Dr Lim however proved to be an officer that did surprise her. She had a plan, allowing for Mala's feelings and then provided a solution palatable to all involved.

Shione hoped that this would spell the end of the drama from her newest officer. There would be plenty to do once a mission had been disseminated to the crew and further with her promotion to Second Officer that she would be the one handling away missions. She resolved to speak with Lim at a later date and establish her opinion in Mala's fitness.

For now, she chose to remain silent preferring to wait until the surgery was complete and the officer declared fit for duty and then she would work to impress a strong work ethic on the young officer.

Time enough then to assist her in getting past these issues she seemed to have developed while serving with her brother-in-law.
Shion
Aanil was aware of the reason for the crowd but the drama surrounding this event surprised her. The CO was present, but not as a Medical officer; instead ruling as to the young Security officer's plan to freeze her egg. She did not know the circumstances but with the contraceptive technology available it did surprise the Doctor in her. The officer was a Vulcan hybrid much as she was but apparently no one had taught her to control her emotions, which Aanil felt was a sad thing indeed.

There appeared to be considerable drama surrounding this episode and the gathering of senior officers only served to exacerbate it.

In an effort to be useful she had approached both the CO as well as the new CMO to offer her assistance in completing the extraction. There had been little to do after she had assisted in getting the sickbay up and ready for the new officers.

She approached The CO and Dr Lim prior to the start of the discussion;
"Doctors I stand available to assist. Perhaps with more hands we can accomplish this with greater alacrity. And Captain if I may I would offer to aid by teaching the Ensign some Vulcan meditation practices, I believe she would benefit from that training to help with her self control issues"

==Tag Brooks and Lim==
Jez had tossed and turned all night, she was relieved that one level that with the help of Doctor Lim and Commander Talion she found a solution that she could live with. Yet, at the same time she was frightened that Renkarn would find out, and create problems, she was afraid that he would get custody of the baby, destroy her parent's careers, or both. She wouldn’t put it past him to kill the baby outright.  However, Commander Talion’s family was a very influential house. Every House looked up to the First House, the House of Honesty & Truth.

Jes finished her morning workout early and had a quick breakfast. She made sure that she was presentable, but her eyes were puffy from crying so much lately.  She made her way to Sickbay, she wasn’t sure what the purpose of this meeting was, it was a personal matter and in her opinion no one had the right to interfere with her decision, but she did appreciate the support that she had received.

Jez entered Sickbay, Dr. Lim directed them to her Office, This was the first time she had met Captain Brooks, she was impressed, he was a very handsome man, he looked fit and muscular, but there was something about him that she couldn’t place, he was the textbook example of a Star Fleet Captain, but his demeanor was more like a CMO, or a Counselor, his tone seemed very …well very fatherly in Jez’s opinion  his accent was so reassuring.

Great , what a way to meet the Captain for the first time.

Jezs took her seat, “ Thank you all for coming. I really appreciate your support and guidance in this very complicated issue. “Said Jez, as she paused to gather her thoughts. “First I want to put an end to any rumors or speculations; no  Commander Talion is not my baby’s father, he and I are just good friends.” Jez knew what she was going to say next would be difficult to say in front of so many people, but it needed to be said, she took a deep breath.

“Several months ago I was on shore leave in New Berlin on New Argus, A friend of mine invited me to a party at a very posh upscale Andorian art gallery, where I spotted the most handsome man, there I met a fellow Betazoid, a man named Renkarn Ukinix. I loved him. He is tall, with broad shoulders, he has a powerlifters build, black wavy hair, a smile so bright it is blinding, and his eyes are black as ripe olives, he was dressed in designer clothes that covered a muscular body. He clearly had more than two strips of latinum to rub together.

He smiled at me, we  engaged in small talk, he told me of his family's vast holdings that he was from the Ninth House, a very noble and proud Betazoid family. Renkarn bragged about his parents being Diplomats, how his family was powerful. We went out on the Balcony, there was a gentle breeze, there was a light scent of flowers in the air, the moon was bright, He said how beautiful I was, he said that I  was, “Very exotic.” He then kissed me, he took her in his powerful arms and kissed me again. It was the start of a wonderful romance, I enjoyed spending time with him, we would exchange letters and subspace messages. Renkarn wined and dined me, he gave me rare and expensive gifts. Renkarn is eight years older than I. Our relationship went on for several months. I loved him.  I was convinced that I had found My  IMZADI, but I  suspected that I was pregnant, so I told him. I told him that I was pregnant and his entire personality changed.

Renkarn went from being kind and sensitive to cold and distant . I will never forget the night that I  told him, he became enraged. He knocked me to the floor, he began kicking me in the stomach, and he called me vile, filthy names. He said that I was nothing, a filthy half breed, that my mother should have been killed for introducing Vulcan blood into Betazoid’s noble houses. He said I was just another mongrel b**ch bringing another mongrel into the world. He said that I was nothing, just a waste of skin. Renkarn started kicking me in the stomach I…I.. didn’t know if he was kicking me in the stomach to kill the baby or to just hurt her? “ Said Jez, her voice strained with tears.

Jez placed her face into her hands and screeched “He…he.. Called me NOTHING..NOTHING…!!! “  Jez took a few moments to compose herself. Tears were running down her face, her eyes were red and puffy.

Jez calmed down and said, “That’s why I don’t want Renkarn Ukinix involved in this manner in any way. I reported the assault to the Authorities on New Argus, by the time they caught up with him he had left for Betazed. About a week later I received a communication from Betazed, I was told to drop the matter, as Renkarn’s parents are diplomats and they were on New Argus on a diplomatic assignment, and that Diplomatic Immunity applied to their son and if I didn’t they implied that my parents careers would be in jeopardy. Not to mention that it could cause a major scandal among the Houses.” Said Jez. Jez realized that she was crying and she felt humiliated in front of everyone. “ I’m sorry, Captain, for my outburst. I just wanted the facts straight and if I can’t trust my new family to be discreet, who can I trust?” Added Jez.

Jez regained her composure. “Dr. Lim, when can we do the procedure?” Said Jez with just a hint of urgency in her voice.

Addressing Commander Kusara and Captain Brooks, “ The reason I didn’t report my condition when I came on board was because I wasn’t positive, as I was checked by a Doctor on New Argus, he was young and admitted he wasn’t very familiar with Hybrid Biology. I do apologize.”

Jez sat waiting for someone to reply, she had given them a great deal of information to process. Jez felt ashamed and humiliated. Yes Jez may have been naive in her dealing within Renkarn, but she was young and not very worldly when it came to romantic relationships; as she spent her formative years with the members of her parents and the other archeologists and their children at various dig sites or with her Grandmother on Betazed.

== Tag All. ==

Lois listened carefully to all that Jez described with sadness in her heart.

I wonder if she read my mine yesterday? I certainly thought Cdr Talion could have been the father, but his actions could just as well be of a caring father figure. Well, it's out there now, can't do anything to change it.

"To answer your question, It seems that you have made up your mind so, we will be able to perform the procedure as soon as Surgical Bay 2 is prepared, Dr Langston is making the arrangement whilst we speak."

"Thank you Jes for trusting us enough to share your story with us, you are always allowed to share your feelings here. I feel so sad for you, that you had to endure the abuse you have described. I also what to assure you that we, in this meeting, are in no way here to judge you in any way at all."

"We are here to help you find a way to permanently house your frozen embryo safe and securely, as I indicated at the beginning of this meeting."

"That is all we are here to do.' said the Chief Medical Officer who had arranged the meeting, and explained those parameters at the beginning of the meeting.

Perhaps with all the feelings and fear of the unknowns, she just did hear all that. Perhaps I should have explained it earlier and better. I need to bring her back into this moment.

"I'm not sure if you understood the question I asked earlier, I need to know your answer before I can perform the procedure. The question was 'How would you feel about that, Jez?' Meaning, are you willing to go along with the arrangements that have been suggested? That the cryochamber with your embryo in it will be stored on the ship until we dock at a suitable Starbase where it can be stored and monitored for as long as is needed. And I suggested that you could have the cryochamber in your quarters and be responsible for the monitoring. It is very easy to do! I can teach you."

"Jez, if you want to go ahead with this procedure I need an answer 'yes' or 'no' or some other suitable alternative? If you can't give an answer, I'm sorry but the captain and I will make a decision for you."

== Tag Ens Mala ==
"Captain, Jez, if I could make a suggestion, perhaps the cryochamber could be housed in Jez's quarters, Jez would be the ideal person to keep an eye of the chamber and the child embryo, its fairly simple to monitor cryochamber and its occupant, it doesn't need 24 hr monitoring, checking it twice a day would ample. You would be able to maintain your normal duties on the ship. Of course, once we are at a Starbase the cryonic unit could be handed over to their cryo-team for permanent storage and monitoring, until you were ready, Jez."

Brooks replied, "I'm sure engineering could assist in making sure the cryochamber could maybe have it's own power supply in case of emergencies while we have the embryo aboard."

"How would you feel about that, Jez?" asked Dr Lim, and she looked around at everyone in the room.

Ensign Mala broke down and explained on how this all come about, Dan could understand her distress. He had seen it enough in his career.

Addressing Commander Kusara and Captain Brooks, “ The reason I didn’t report my condition when I came on board was because I wasn’t positive, as I was checked by a Doctor on New Argus, he was young and admitted he wasn’t very familiar with Hybrid Biology. I do apologize.”

Brooks gave a small smile to Mala, "You have nothing to say sorry for, doctors do sometimes get it wrong. We aren't perfect and we can find a solution out of many issues."

As the meeting was coming to a close Brooks said, "Good luck Jez." before adding, "Doctor Lim, I hope all goes well and keep me informed."

The Captain turned and headed out of the office.

==ETL for Brooks==
Jez sat and listened to the opinions and concerns of the other, even though many people remained silent, she wasn’t sure if their silence was due to disgust pity, or a combination of the two. Jez didn’t know any of them well enough to know for certain how they viewed issues like single mothers or domestic abuse.

Doctor Lim said, "Thank you Jez for trusting us enough to share your story with us, you are always allowed to share your feelings here. I feel so sad for you, that you had to endure the abuse you have described. I also want to assure you that we, in this meeting, are in no way here to judge you in any way at all." Jez found that statement a bit particular, but also reassuring.

Please Doctor Lim, don’t feel sad for me. I made a mistake in judgment; I gave my heart to someone I thought I could trust, someone who I thought loved me, someone who I thought was my Imzadi, but I was wrong. Next time, I will be more cautious of whom I give my heart to, the next man will have to earn my love.” Said Jez, sounding cold and distant as if her heart was locked behind a steel door protected by a forcefield.

Captain Brooks gave a small smile to Jez, "You have nothing to say sorry for, doctors do sometimes get it wrong. We aren't perfect and we can find a solution out of many issues."

Wait a second he said “we” as we doctors, is he confirming that he is a doctor, fascinating.

Jez briefly looked at Doctor Lim and then at Captain Brooks. To Jez Dr, Lim looked like a doctor, she carried herself like a doctor, but Captain Brooks,  in her opinion, was more like a father or grandfather. Dr. Lim’s hair and makeup looked flawless, but the Captain needed a shave and a haircut, and his face could use a good moisturizer, at least in Jez’s opinion.

“Dr. Lim, to answer your question. Yes, that will be fine, we can keep my baby on the Aquila until a more permanent and suitable arrangement can be made. As long as the location isn't near Betazed. Also,  I’m certain I can keep an eye on the stasis chamber in my quarters, especially if it has a portable power supply. “ Replied Jez, with just a hint of excitement in her voice.

== Tag Lim. ==
Talion finally spoke up, when there was a pause in the conversation, "Jez, if you find the personal issues traumatizing to the point where you require counseling, I'm sure that Doctor Lim can arrange for you to speak with a Counselor. I can also assure you that at least for the immediate future, any civil action that this other person might be able to try to bring, they'll have very little legal standing for now and they will not be able to bring any diplomatic pressure from Betazed for quite some time. For right now, they can't even confirm the situation without first being informed of it and then trying to confirm that information through your Chain of Command. As a member of the First House, my words will be able to carry enough weight to make them think very carefully before giving you a hard time about such a personal matter. This should not be an issue and I'll have some legal documents drawn up for you that should protect you, should anyone try to make you do something you don't want to. You just focus on regaining some sort of control over your situation and sort things out. We're all here to help you do that, but the weight of it is still on you. It no longer matters how you arrived at this point. The important thing is that this is where you are and these are the things you're facing. They are your decisions, we're just here to help you have choices and facilitate them. "

He knew his words sounded technical, but they were the best way he knew to cut through the emotional quicksand he could see her still trying to wrestle with. Unfortunately, the best way for her to resolve this situation was with as little emotional involvement as possible. She could cry in a pillow later, but she was in a very adult situation right now and she needed to focus on some very adult decisions about how to fortify herself and then move forward with deliberate intent. They didn't always teach people that, so that was part of why Alex was here for her.
== Meeting - Chief Medical Officer's Office, Deck 12 Main Sickbay ==

"Thank you for that, Jez. Well, I think that closes this meeting, thank you all for attending. Jez if you would like to come with me, we'll go and see where Dr Langston is up to with preparations.

Dr Lim turn to open the CMO's door to let everyone out and as she did, she glanced at Cdr Talion. Her opinion was changing towards him, watching him handle the young naive junior officer. Dr Lim rarely smiled but she did give him a slight smile/nod to say 'well done'.

This poor girl has certainly had a rude awakening to adulthood. I hope she doesn't take it to heart and let it color her life from now on.

>> Surgical Bays >>
>> Surgical Bay 2 -Main Sickbay >>

As Dr Lim entered the surgical bay Dr Langston greeted her.

"Dr Lim, everything is ready to go, whenever you and Ens Mala are ready. Hello Ens Mala, I'm Dr Harry Lanston, I'll be assisting Dr Lim today."

Dr Lim began to explain what would happen in the procedure, " Jez, when you 're ready, I'll need you to hop onto the surgical bio bed. The transport procedure is very simple, you lay as still as possible, I'll ask you to hold your breath for a moment to ensure we have no movement then at the moment of the transport of the embryo by the transport you may feel a tingling in your abdomen for a few second. Like some feel in a normal transport but it not anywhere near that intensity. In a couple of seconds, I'll tell you to breathe again and the embryo will be in the cryochamber, and that's it, all done. We will keep the chamber here for an hour or so, just to make sure it all working as it should, and after that I'll have the chamber delivered to your quarters, and the staff member with give instructions on the monitoring procedures, and then you will be free to resume your duties."

"Any questions, Jez?"

== tag Ens Jez Mala ==
Jez wasn’t sure what to expect from this procedure, but seeing how Dr. Lim was involved, she felt more confident and comfortable that everything would be fine.  Overall, Jez felt relieved at having shared her predicament with the members of her new crew. She was so glad that she confided in Commander Talion, she hoped that there wouldn’t be any legal fallout from all this the idea of the possibility of the Betazoid Noble houses being plunged into a Civil War was difficult to process all the ramification, but she wasn’t going to let anything, or anything harm her baby. If it meant that Betazoid would fall into a Civil War, so be it...

Commander Talion’s offer of legal assistance made her feel better, but she couldn’t be certain how far Renkarn’s family would go. The Ninth House the House of Wealth wasn’t afraid to fault or use its power and influence, then there was the Betazoid Nobility Charter the legal document that governs the rules of Nobility.

Section 44, part 1 of the Betazoid Nobility Charter states that "any Betazoid siblings, either by blood, by marriage, or by adoption, of a Betazoid House noble, who is not a subject or a citizen or entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or citizen of a foreign power,” is eligible to act as an Advocate (i.e. legal representative) for a head of House in the case where the matriarch is absent or unwell. This section was written long before Betazed’s membership of the Federation. Parts 4 and 5 of the section state that in the case of non-noble siblings, such as in the case of a stripped title, preference must be given to a female sibling[. The idea that her baby could be used in some diabolic agenda to the detriment of the other House was just unthinkable. 

The Ninth house traditionally had owned the largest amount of land by far compared to the other houses. In 2300, The Third, Fourth, Sixth, Seventh, Tenth, and Twelfth Houses of Betazed claim that they loaned some of their undeveloped land to the Ninth house centuries before first contact with the Federation, to develop the land agriculturally - to the benefit of those houses and the Betazoid population in general. However there is no record of this ever happening, and the Ninth House, specifically the Ukinix family (which had a reputation for being ruthless) denied this claim. It became a political issue between the houses, who demanded "their" now agriculturally rich land back.

Throughout the 2330s, there were rumors that the then Matriarch Kirilow Ukinix and her husband Alacem Ukinix tried to influence the opinion of other houses, and even attempted to take them over, by offering their daughters for arranged marriages with members of the other houses. The record of this happening, however, is scant and has never been proven. No female members of the Ukinix family ever married into other houses.

Jez knew that all this intrigue was beyond her understanding in that she wasn’t that familiar with Betazoid Law and tradition, that’s why she was so glad that Commander Talion offered the legal assistance of the First House.

As the meeting ended, Dr. Lom said something that caught her attention,  Jez watched as Dr. Lim turned to open the CMO's door to let everyone out and as she did, she glanced at Cdr Talion and gave a slight smile/nod to say 'well done'.

Hmmm..?? That was odd,  I wonder;  do those two have an adversarial relationship? I don’t recall Dr. Lim even mentioning Commander Talion back on the Geronimo.

"Thank you for that, Jez. Well, I think that closes this meeting, thank you all for attending. Jez if you would like to come with me, we'll go and see where Dr Langston is up to with preparations.” Said Dr. Lim.

Jez nodded her head and followed her. As they went Jez had a few questions for the Doctor.  “Dr. Lim, will my baby be aware of where she is? Will she know what's going on? Will she respond to my voice? Will this be traumatic for her, or is she too young to have neural pathways established at this point? You know no memory engrams have developed at this stage?”

As Jez followed, she felt a bit nervous, but she remembered what Cr. Lim had said about seeking help from the ship's counselor or someone who has the skills to help her talk about your feelings and emotions before making a decision. Perhaps talking to some of the mothers on the ship,  Dr. Lom even recommended that Jez speak with her mother perhaps, those who have experience with childbirth and raising children on a Starship. It would give her a broader, more long-term perspective. And of course, discussing them with the father. It is his child as much ashers, to at least give him the option to be involved or not, Jez wanted nothing to do with Renkarn, but the idea of speaking with a counselor was an excellent idea, that’s when Jez remembered that Lt. Tate wanted to discuss something with her.

I’ll discuss this with Lt. Tate. I’m sure she’ll have some good advice.

Jez followed Dr. Lim to the Surgical Bays, her mind was filled with so much to consider, but somehow she felt as if things would somehow turn out alright, at least for now.

>> Surgical Bays.>>

== Tag Dr. Lim. ==
>> Walking to the Surgical Bay 2 >>

As they went Jez had a few questions for the Doctor. “Dr. Lim, will my baby be aware of where she is? Will she know what's going on? Will she ... no memory engrams have developed at this stage?”

There was a barrage of questions.

Dr Lim was silent for a few moments as they walked. She wasn't contemplating her answers to the hand full of questions. She knew the answer. Lois was surprised that Jez did not seem to know. She began to put two and two together.

One would think that a young female of her age, would know the answers to those question? Maybe she is mentally destabilising? If I see one more hesitation like this, I may have to suspend her from duty and have her mentally and emotional evaluated. She at least needs to learn how to control her feelings. Some Vulcan technics would help. She can't go through life being driven by her feelings! Grief and trauma shock can often bring on these types of episodes. I've just got to be calm, answer the question, watch for more signs and be ready to act. If I suspend her from duty, then she will be off the ship at the next federation colony with a decent psychological trauma ward. I don't want to do that, but if she refuses the procedure, refuse the treatment that she has been wanting from the first time I saw her, I will have to act, for her safety and for those working with her, and immediately inform the captain. Oh, please Jez, don't go there, girl, please?

"Jez do you remember being in your mother's womb? No of course not. No species' embryo's I know is developed enough at your stage of pregnancy, to remember anything. They don't even have a brain to register feelings yet. They may react to the mother's hormones if they get through placental protections, that would be about all. When an embryo is frozen, it's very quick, almost instantaneous, from then time will stand still for your baby and when the baby is born the baby won't know a thing, except she out in the real world for the first time and suckling on her mother's breast, 'safe as Larry'."

Oh, I hope I'm wrong about Jez.

Lios remembered a case study in a seminar she had attended, of a Vulcan Starfleet officer named Ptou'zin who had a mental break down and even the Vulcan's could not but her back together. She eventual died, but that was because of a forced mind meld where she was made to forget that she witnessed the murder of her mentor and friend. Grief, trauma and stress lead to emotional overload. Lim felt that the similarities of the cases were not the same but they were very similar. Shocking trauma, grief, leads to emotional breakdown can lead complete breakdown. It is a common process in most species.

== In the surgical Bay 2 ==

"Jez, Jez, any question? Are you ready? Doctor Lim asked again.
Jez listened as Dr. Lom answered her questions. Jez thought about what Dr. Lom had said about remembering being in her mother's womb; Jez thought and thought about that. What were her first memories? Jez’s mind was going at warp 9.99 doing her best to remember her earliest memories. The first real memory that she could recall was of her first bath. She could recall bubbles and the warm water on her skin. Jez recalled her mother rubbing her skin with a pink washcloth.

Jezs was processing the events of the last few days, and what her Sensi had said to her many years ago started to make perfect sense.

Teddy Bear was right, what doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger. 

It was all so clear to her now, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. The idea that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger is based on the theory that by going through difficult experiences, people build up their strength for the next, possibly more painful event that may occur.

Jez felt strong and confident once again, she wasn’t going to let this or the possible legal battle with Renkarn distract her from her duties. She was a Star Fleet Officer and Renkarn was just a stupid arrogant bigot who would get what he deserved when he least expects it.

Jez realized that this was just another challenge, a challenge for her to master. If she had to describe it, she would call it a test, the Ultimate test of her convictions. Jez wouldn’t kill anyone, she always tried to talk her way out of a fight, but if she couldn’t she would. It was like the Universe wanted to give her a challenge unlike anything that she had dealt with before. Would she rise to the challenge or falter? Jez had thought about aborting that baby, but the baby was innocent and couldn’t fight back. It was like the Universe was saying,” Well Jez Mala, will you kill or won’t you? Will you stand by your beliefs that all life is sacred , or abort the baby and get revenge on Renkarn.”

Jez remember reading an ancient Terran religious text called Wicca, the Wiccan’s believed in the Wiccan morality in the Law of Threefold Return which holds that whatever benevolent or malevolent actions a person performs will return to that person with triple force, or with equal force on each of the three levels of body, mind, and spirit, Jez had to laugh, the idea of Renkarn getting a taste of his own medicine.

== In Surgical Bay 2 ==

Kez looked around, it seemed like the standard Surgical Bay, with a few machines that she didn’t recognize, but assumed were the Cyronic-stasis unit. She saw several Surgical Technicians checking the equipment ensuring that everything was ready.

"Jez, Jez, any question? Are you ready? Doctor Lim asked again.

Jez closed her eyes briefly, she let out a small sigh and smiled. “Yes Dr. Lim. I’m ready, but I was wondering if you are familiar with Lt. Tates credentials? The reason I ask is that  I was thinking that once this is over that I would talk to her about my situation. She was the therapist that we all saw after one of our previous missions.” Said Jez. “I wanted to speak with her to make sure that I’m seeing this whole thing with an open and clear mind, that I’m not letting my hatred for Renkarn cloud my judgment.” Added Jez.

“I’m ready Dr. Lim. Let's get my baby into Cryo-stasis . I want to inform my parents of what’s going on.” Said Jez, with just an uncertainty, as she didn’t know how her parents would react to the news.

== Tag Dr. Lim. ==
== Surgical Bay 2 ==

“I’m ready Dr. Lim. Let's get my baby into Cryo-stasis. I want to inform my parents of what’s going on.” Said Jez.

Okay, Jes I'll get you to hop up onto the surgical bio bed, just relax while we check everything and make final preparation," Dr Lim explained.

Lois moved over to Dr Hangston and spoke to him as she checked the parameters of the procedure with him. Everything appeared to be in order and set to go. Lois then returned to Jes.

"I'm going to hold your hand and watch the monitor above your head. Okay, are we all ready?" Everyone in the room assisting either nodded or gave a thumbs up. "Jez, I want you to lay very still and take in a normal breath and hold it until I say you can breathe again, it'll take about 10 seconds, that's all. Okay, ready Dr Hangston, on may make, Jez, take in a breath and hold it... Begin Dr Hangston."

There was a slight hum as the transporter did its job, lights flashed on the Cyro chamber which was about a meter from Jez, on her left side. The lights indicated transport reception had engaged. Dr Lim watched the bio bed monitor, everything seemed to happen like clockwork. Until exactly 5 seconds had elapsed and Dr Hangston spoke.

Procedure complete, chamber is under its own power, embryo has dematerialised and is frozen, no ice crystals present, temperature -200 C, the embryo is in cryostasis, Dr Lim."

"You can breathe now, Jes," Lois said as she let go of Jes's hand. When you're ready, Dr Hangston will give you a briefing to Jez on monitoring the cryochamber and your baby, then I'll work you and the chamber to your quarters."

The chamber was cylindrical, shiny stainless medical grade steel, on a stand, although it only weighed 2 kilograms and it measured 300 mm tall with 250 mm diameter. It had several indicator lights and a small interface panel with the number -200C facing Jez.

Dr Hangston spoke to Jez, "Jez, here is the temperature indicator and it should not move off -200 c, if it does call a medical and engineering teams immediately, the chamber should be inspected twice a day, morning and evening, if ice crystals are beginning to form this blue indicator will turn red, call us immediately. If you are away, a nurse can do the inspections for you. You can move it, but gently, if you drop it or it gets knocked over, call the teams in just to make sure it's not damaged, ideally it should be left in the same spot. Okay, you're right to go."

Dr Lim walked with Jez to her quarters, they spoke a little as they worked, the chamber arrived a minute later on a hover lift and was placed in its permanent position in Jez's quarters. Dr Lim said her goodbyes and returned to the sickbay to file her notes on Jez's medical records and make a cup of milo.

== EOTL for Dr Lim ==
Jez stood silently as she watched all the technicians checking the equipment Her pulse was racing, she had never seen a medical transporter in use before, the idea that the transporter was going to disassemble living tissue on the subatomic level and then reassemble it in the stasis tube was truly fascinating.

“ Okay, Jez I'll get you to hop up onto the surgical bio bed, just relax while we check everything and make final preparations," Dr Lim explained.

Jez smiled and got up on the bed, she laid down and looked up at the ceiling, she listened to the sounds of the medical equipment, Jez always found Sickbay a little unnerving. 

"I'm going to hold your hand and watch the monitor above your head. Okay, are we all ready?" Everyone in the room assisting either nodded or gave a thumbs up. "Jez, I want you to lay very still and take in a normal breath and hold it until I say you can breathe again, it'll take about 10 seconds, that's all. Okay, ready Dr Hangston, on may make, Jez, take a breath and hold it... Begin Dr Hangston." Said Dr. Lim.

Jez did as she was instructed she took a full normal breath and began counting down in her head.

Jez felt the normal static that was associated with transporters. She felt a wave of happiness wash over her, the idea that she could be a mother, on her term when she was ready and she could still have her career. She just wasn’t fully sure of how she was going to explain this to her parents.

Oh mother, father I got pregnant by a horrible filthy beast from the Ninth House, but that baby is in Cryo-stasis until I’m ready to have her. No…no..that will never do. Hmmm… Congratulations, you are going to be Grandparents. No, that would be like hitting someone with a phaser on stun.

"You can breathe now, Jes," Lois said as she let go of Jes's hand. When you're ready, Dr. Hangston will give you a briefing to Jez on monitoring the cryo chamber and your baby, then I'll work you and the chamber to your quarters." Said Dr. Lim.

Jez let out an audible exhale, that felt like the longest ten seconds of her life, but thankfully it was over.

Dr Hangston spoke to Jez, "Jez, here is the temperature indicator and it should not move off -200 c, if it does call medical and engineering teams immediately, the chamber should be inspected twice a day, morning and evening, if ice crystals are beginning to form this blue indicator will turn red, call us immediately. If you are away, a nurse can do the inspections for you. You can move it, but gently, if you drop it or it gets knocked over, call the teams in just to make sure it's not damaged, ideally, it should be left in the same spot. Okay, you're right to go."
Jez followed Dr. Hangston with her eyes paying close attention to what he was saying and looking at the controls that he indicated.

“ Temp must remain at -200 c, twice a day inspection, Blue to red means ice crystals,” Jez repeated the instruction to herself several times. “I understand Dr. Hangston, and Thank you.” Said Jez.

Jez smiled at Dr. Lim and said. “Thank you for all your assistance. I really appreciate it.” Said Jez.

>> Jez’s quarters. >>
== NPC Lt Andromeda "Andrea" Tate ==

Andrea had waited patiently for the CMO to finish with more pressing matters, but when there was a free moment, Tate approached Dr. Lim. Tate was dressed in civilian business attire, not in a uniform, though she did cary a PADD, if the conversation might call for it.

"Doctor Lim, My name is Andromeda Tate, though I tend to find the name Adrea to be far less formal. Although I am also a Lieutenant in Star Fleet, I'm not assigned to this ship. I am however, her on Federation business, so I'm following protocol, as well as good manners, and informing you of my being on the ship. As the CMO, it is only right that your be aware of any and all related matters about a mutual patient."

Andrea was being very professional and businesslike, but was taking care to keep her voice soft and smooth. Everything about her amnnerisms was of a soothing nature and almost maternal. Although Andrea was a little older than Lim, it wasn't by much. She was being very honest and up front.

"For starters, I'll be looking in on Jez Mala. She was briefly a patient of mine following a mission. I want to follow up, making sure she has continued to improve. I will be sure to inform you when I am finished and as she was cleared for duty, you may presume that nothing has changed unless you specifically hear otherwise from me. I don't anticipate any change in her status, but I have concerns that I wish be certain are satisfied. Those concerns are actually to evaluate her standing as a telepathic practitioner. I know that is not your field. I am also aware that you have someone acting as a Counselor on this ship. I am a trained Counselor and have been assigned to ships in the field, so I can relate to your situation and it is part of why I was asked to make this visit. My experience and recent connection to Jez were found to be very advantagious. I'm here on behalf of the Federation, as a representative of the Federation Institute or Paranormal Aptitude. I need to speak with Jez and clear up something. Again, I don't anticipate any difficulties here, but it would be wrong of me not to inform you in advance. This also shouldn't conflict with any of her duties and won't take up much time."

Andrea waited for Lim to respond,

== This is not meant to conflict with any of the timeline or poststo date. It is not important where this fits in, so we can just roll with it. There has been lots going on, so this is just intended to inform the CMO in advance. ==
Dr Lim stood and listened to Lt Andromeda explain her present on sickbay and on the ship. It seems like a long drawn-out explanation. She wondered if the younger looking Lt was nerves.

"Well Hello Adrea, I'm pleased to meet you. That's all fine with me Lt, go right ahead and visit Jez, she would probably enjoy the company. A copy of any report for Jez's medical records would be sufficient, unless you would like to grab a cup of coffee sometime for a chat. I don't think the ship is leaving on a mission any time soon."

==Tag Lt Andromeda ==
Dr Lim stood and listened to Lt Andromeda explain her present on sickbay and on the ship. It seems like a long drawn-out explanation. She wondered if the younger looking Lt was nerves.

"Well Hello Adrea, I'm pleased to meet you. That's all fine with me Lt, go right ahead and visit Jez, she would probably enjoy the company. A copy of any report for Jez's medical records would be sufficient, unless you would like to grab a cup of coffee sometime for a chat. I don't think the ship is leaving on a mission any time soon."

==Tag Lt Andromeda ==
== NPC Lt Tate ==

"Excellent! A cup of tea might be very welcome and sounds delightful. Perhaps I will take you up on that once I've seen Jez. Thank you very much."

Andrea's smile had broadened all the more at such a pleasant welcome from the CMO. She then turned and made her way out to find Jez.

== Thanks Dr. Lim, we'll see what time permits for that cuppa... ==