AQ/D01 - Ready Room
==
==Timeline One Hour and Fifty Minutes after Ceremony==
<<<Bridge<<<

Stepping into his new ready room, Captain Brooks looked around and noted the usual layout was present.

In front of him was a desk with two chairs this side and one bigger one the other side,  sat on the desk was four small black boxes to be handed out later, to his right was a table, a couch and another table. To the left was a door into a wash room and next to that the replicator. Behind the desk was a shelf to the right and a window to the left.

On the shelf already was the ceremonial sword that Commander Velaul had given him and he also requested a model version of his first command of the USS Charon which was displayed on the table on the right hand side furthest away from the door. Dan also saw the holophoto of his parents was also on the shelf behind him when he was sat at the desk.

Moving around it the room slowly until he was behind the desk, he slipped into the chair behind the desk and just took a moment to take it all in. Thinking about the previous commanding officers, two notable ones stuck out, first off Captain Zan, he had served with her on the USS Sheridan  as his Captain. The other was Captain Braggins, who only had a ship a short while but made quite an impact.

Dan could only hope to even scratch close enough to be as well known and respected as them.

Tapping his commbadge he said,

"Commander Velaul, report to my ready room. Captain Brooks out." he said and closed the channel. Brooks knew that Kurasa would be on their way as he had around ten minutes before the meeting was to begin.

==Tag Velaul and Kurasa==
<<Bridge<<

"Lieutenant Commander Shione Kurasa, reporting as ordered Captain." Regs required the formal address and she then followed it up by approaching and offering her Paad to the CO.

"Once again Captain congratulations on getting the Aquila. Knowing the ship's history as a former member of her crew I know the honor is well placed Sir."

She paused, then giving the Captain time to speak.

She remained curious as to this early and formal summons but she was also Samurai and recognized that there was a time for silence.

==Tag Brooks==
It didn't take long for the first ping on the Ready Room door buzzer to sound,

"Enter." Brooks said standing up from the chair behind the desk as the door slid back it revealed Lieutenant Commander Kurasa. She walked in and said,

"Lieutenant Commander Shione Kurasa, reporting as ordered Captain." then offered her PADD to him as she added.

"Once again Captain congratulations on getting the Aquila. Knowing the ship's history as a former member of her crew I know the honor is well placed Sir."

Daniel didn't say anything for a moment as his icy blue eyes studied the PADD and then he placed it on the desk in front of him, he then offered Kurasa to take one of the chairs in front of the desk as he himself sat back down.

Brooks placed his hands together as he looked thoughtfully at the officer,

"Thank you for your congratulations Commander. I must say I feel alittle bit excited to be given the command of such a vessel."

His icy blue eyes showed a little warmth to the officer,

"It is nice to see a few of you have also served on the Copernicus and your service history does prove very interesting, but I think I will wait for Commander Velaul before we go down that route just yet. Is it nice to be back on the Aquila? Which Captain did you serve under?"

Dan asked with a tone of genuine interest in his voice.

==Tag Kurasa and Velaul==
<<<<First Officers Office<<<*

Making her way up to the Ready Room, Beno was still reading up on a few more files. She always had enough information to make sound choices with, and by the looks of things so did a few members of the new crew. After ringing the bell Beno waited to be invited before entering, after she did enter it was a usual site to see her reading something.

"Captain a pleasure as always,  Commander a pleasure to see you again." It was at this second that Beno knew what this was about and put down the padds, she wanted to give them her undivided attention. Sitting down so she could see  oth people, it was going to be an interesting meeting.

"We have a great crew that has  captured my attention more than I had originally thought,  I can go into detail later. This is your meeting." Waiting for the meeting to begin Beno made herself comfortable.

==Tag Captain and Commander ==
The door pinged and Brooks said, "Enter." Commander Velaul entered with padds in hand as she said, "Captain a pleasure as always, Commander a pleasure to see you again." It was at this second that Beno knew what this was about and put down the padds on her side of the desk as she took the other seat.

Velaul then added. "We have a great crew that has captured my attention more than I had originally thought, I can go into detail later. This is your meeting."

Captain Brooks smiled and nodded said in reply, "Yes you are right in your assessment of the crew Commander Velaul."

His eyes went back and forth between the two and there was a slight pause.

"Commander Kurasa, as I mentioned I have reviewed your recorded along with the other department heads. I am impressed by it and also the fact of you having been on highly classified missions means you are in great trust of the command teams at the time to allow you to be in such a vital role. The USS Aquila is a big vessel and under my discretion I can appoint a second officer."

He paused for a moment to allow this to sink in to everyone in the room,

"In my career I have been second officer on the USS Copernicus and Commander Velaul has been on the USS Ozaki. It is a role I do not take lightly and it comes with no promises of a FO position in the future, what it does mean is you will be a department head first, second officer, second duty. You will accompany away teams and assume command of the ship if myself and Velaul are both unavailable at the time."

Daniel looked at Beno then back at Commander Kurasa,

"I would like to offer you the role of second officer of the USS Aquila and hope you will accept?"

==Tag Kurasa and Velaul==
Shione nodded in respect to Captain Brook's comments and answered when asked about her service aboard this ship; "Yes Captain I served with Serran Zan who had been my Department head when I served on the Pegasus."

Polite conversation continued only briefly and ceased with the arrival of the First Officer. Commander Velaul greeted her and Shione returned the greeting sensing that something was afoot and did not want to take up valuable time on pleasantries and neither did she waste effort guessing what this was about.
The greeting of a new DH was normally handled by the FO, so that meant this was about something more than a simple welcome, and given present company that was a short list indeed. She smiled warmly when greeted, but kept her expression neutral and impossible to read.

Possessing a Vulcan heritage made it quite rote for the Betazoid Hybrid to keep her expressions emotionless, even in circumstances such as this one. Shione knew from previous conversations with Serran that the unique separation capabilities of the Aquila did require a larger cadre of senior officers, and sensed that this was the reason for this conversation. She had been somewhat surprised that Brooks had brought up her classified service. Clearly, he knew she would not be able to divulge all that much, but he was correct that she would not be permitted to discuss that service.

And then the proverbial bomb was dropped. Shione did maintain her composure and expression as the Captain revealed his and Velaul's experiences in the SO position before making the formal offer. Rather than immediately assent to the question Shione paused and then spoke of what he had mentioned during his preamble.

"You are correct in saying that I did indeed participate in a number of classified missions, and in reference to them; I hope that some of the skills acquired during those missions will never need to be employed aboard this ship. They do however give me a unique outlook on options and solutions and I will bring those strengths to my role here."

She looked in turn to each of the Command crew before proceeding. "I do believe that I am ready for such a role as I have abundant away team experience as well as some experience in being in a position of command.
So" She paused allowing a small smile to break her Vulcan facade before nodding in assent. "Thank you, Captain, for the offer and I do accept. I am pleased that my Wife and Daughter are aboard to share this with me and it is to them that I will proceed once we have completed this meeting."

She turned to nod to Velaul before adding "So I expect there are matter you need to discuss with me, and I will not hold up those discussions any further. I am honored to have been given this opportunity and will endeavour to not disappoint."

==Tag Brooks and Velaul==
Daniel was pleased that Lieutenant Commander Kurasa had accepted the role.

"Brilliant, I'm pleased that is settled." he said picking up a padd and tapping his authorization in to update the ship computer of Kurasa new role aboard.

Brooks then said, "I'm sure you and Commander Velaul will indeed have a few more matters to discuss at some point. There is one thing I would like you to do for me through."

The Captain put his hand on first of the four little boxes sat on the desk,

"This was given to Ensign Mala. She is awarded the SFA medal and due to me not being present at her previous assignment, I think it should be only right that her department head gives it to her.... unless of course you would like me to do it? I thought it might be just a little bit more of a personal touch? As you can see I have another three to give out. If you think it would be better for me to hold a ceremony than I am open to that to."

He looked over to Commander Velaul, "Your input is also important Number one."

==Tag Velaul and Kurasa==
Listening to everything that was going on it reminded her of being second Officer, it was agreat thrill for her and a step in the right direction. "First I like to congratulate you for a promotion, a proud day for all of us. A few things I wanted to go over with you as Chief of Security now applies as Second Officer." She said in a softer voice than normal.

"I have always had a great relationship with the Security Chief and a understanding that I don't like coats of sugar, the bitter truths do better in the long run. I also rely 

on them the most out of anyone, Commanders Pond and Jensen had the benefit of knowing me for a while making the relationship easier. Especially when I call an audible during the Away Missions, judging from your files you will learn fast." For the first time Beno was reminded of the talk she had years prior, being Second Officer to Commander Sothrick, the Baptism of fire that made her step up as First Officer also came to mind.

"As First Officer I will do my best to teach you what it takes to fill my position, like Daniel is teaching me how to fill his. As part of the Command team we represent eachother in the best way possible, this means someone is always watching everything we do in public areas. When in Ten Forward I favor a more casual approach,, Formalities I leave for everything else. There is a time and place to set your rank aside and just be a person, or it will consume you completely." 

The greatest tragedy when it comes to rank is some people allow it to  consume them completely, the higher they go the worse it gets. People will follow confidence and respect through the worst scenario, rank they will follow but never in the same way. A great leader knows how to utilize strengths, and strengthen what needs to be. 

==Tag==
Shione listened to what the Captain had to say and took the box from him pausing to allow him to finish his thought.

"I feel the ceremony idea; while good and would introduce the new crew to yours; I have always handed out promotions and medals privately preferring the one-on-one approach. With the drama that is going on in Mala's case I personally would rather handle it privately. And isn't there a JG pip for her as well?"

She paused before elaborating; "With all that is going on in sickbay with this pregnancy issue I would rather tone things down and return her to a one on one. Mala and I share a common mixed heritage but all this emotional turmoil she has been exhibiting demonstrates to me that she is sublimating her Vulcan side and I need to bring her back to that hoping that some meditational practices could help bring all of this under control."

Shione then listened and 'tried' not to react to the mention of the current Philly FO, but wasn't sure she hadn't flinched.

Continuing as the FO spoke; Shione smiled slightly at the assertion that some people allowed rank to consume them and when the FO finished Shione added" I am very comfortable in my skin and my rank. Unlike my subordinate I maintain my focus through regular meditation, and other than the relationship I have with my Wife and daughter there are very very few things that get to my head."

She paused, adding "Is there anything else that we need to discuss at this time, and if not, I thank you both again for this opportunity and be assured I will endeavor to not let you or the ship down?"

Captain Brooks agreed with Lieutenant Commander Kurasa assessment of the medals and promotions. It really was only after something significant or Department Heads that Brooks would deal with. The mention of Mala's promotion to Lieutenant Junior Grade made Dan wonder for a moment, it felt odd promoting officers from other ships without seeing how they actually worked.

"I think in regards to Ensign Mala's promotion, yes they are due." Dan said his icy blue eyes looking at each of the officers in the room before looking up the list on the terminal to confirm it. Putting his hand under the desk he pulled out a box, opened it and saw the hollow pip before closing it and passing it over to Kurasa.

"Please give Ensign Mala my heart felt congratulations on her promotion, it comes with a lot more responsibility then being an Ensign, she should be very proud to achieve such a rank."

Captain Brooks then listened to the small conversation between Kurasa and Velaul.

As the conversation came to its natural end, Commander Kurasa said, "Is there anything else that we need to discuss at this time, and if not, I thank you both again for this opportunity and be assured I will endeavor to not let you or the ship down?"

Brooks stood up from behind the desk, "I'm sure you won't and hope you find everything alright. My door is always open for the first officer and the department heads."

One Kurasa left Captain Brooks looked at Velaul he said, "I think I will have Lieutenant Xardeen in next if you can give her a call."

==Tag Velaul and Xardeen==
Beno was sure that Kurasa knew how to compartmentalize one set of responsibilities,  between her responsibilities between her department and Second Officer. There was also that face she made when certain people were mentioned, this wasn't the time nor place to handle it. One officer should never show hatred of any kind, even if they hated them personally. Compartmentalization was basically the best way to handle it, it's just that some people got more compartments than others. It separates personal from professional feelings, the purpose of that was to protect the person harboring thoes feelings. If a person allows themselves to be consumed by such negative emotions, the best part of who they are is temporarily lost. This wasn't the time for grand speeches on the subject, nor would the opportunity ever present itself. 

Until there was a report on her desk that said different, she would leave the matter in the capable hands of Kurasa. This will be the benchmark of where their relationship started, with a growing  amount of trust. There can not be a level of divide between the two of them, or it will simply fall apart. " We should contact T'Kol because on my agenda for today she has Doctor Lois Lim as my second appointment for today, I just want to avoid any possible mix ups." The last thing that she wanted to do was cause problems with anyone due to a simple miscommunication.

"From what I understand about our new Chief Tactical Officer, is she is a very responsible officer. Uses what she has to make up for what she doesn't, she also has a way 9f bringing out the best in officers around her. Even when said officer isn't in her department, part of what intreasted me most. She is also aware that she has a lot of room for expansion, and willing to learn." These were respectable qualities to have, and will take her far.

==Tag Captain ==
==After the events in Science Labs==

Xenara had recived the summons shortly after her session with Commander Talion. She was absoutely beaming as she got used to moving in her new exoskeleton...no...her new nano-suit. She still didn't understand the technical aspects of it, but she had Cindy to help her. It only took the nanites the walk between the Science Labs and the Ready Room to fully compensate and by the time she pressed the door chime, she could walk normally. It was a bit uncomfortable, but not tight, and as she moved, like Alex had said, it got more and more comfortable, to the point where she wouldn't even realize she wore it.

When she got permission to enter, she couldn't help but keep smiling, though she did manage not to look like she was a child in a toy store. She simply looked happy.

"Lieutenant Xenara Xardeen reporting as ordered, Captain," she said.

She was wearing her typical skirt uniform as she had been accustomed to it, not thinking that her nano-suit hadn't been as irritating as the exoskeleton. But to everyone that looked at her, they wouldn't even see it; they'd simply see her skin. At least only the areas that were exposed. She still had a few issues standing still without having to balance herself due to gravity, but in time the nanites would overcome that too.

She saw Commander Velaul and greeted her as well. "Hello, Commander."

She turned back to the Captain. "It's not bad news is it? I've had such an incredible day, bad news now would be devistating." She teased. But she was only half worried. She hadn't even begun her first shift yet and already called into the Ready Room.

The next appointment arrived who was in a really good mood, and yes if there was bad news it would end. The last thing Beno wanted was to ruin the day, unless it was necessary. "Fortunately Lieutenant there is  no bad news, unless you don't like a formal meet and greet." Some people didn't like it, while others embraced it. "I have to admit that I haven't met very many Elaysian people, the bravest and most determined people I have ever met." Her tone was friendly as usual

"As First Officer I like to get a feel for people under our Command on a more personable basis, it also gives you the same opportunity. I have also heard good things about you from the Geronimo, as a very responsible officer. You also have a new Midshipman on his first assignment, I am sure you two will get along great. I would like to hear about your experiences with Junior officers, I hear you are very good with them." 

That's the kind of leadership that Beno likes, someone who will lead others to success. There were also typical questions she wanted to ask, but Velaul knew it wasn't a good idea. Some people don't like thoes typical questions, they suggest some kind of stereotype. She did enjoy what she seen in Ten Forward, Beno learned alot more there than in any reports. A person on their down time says a bit about their personality, she seemed to be fun.

==Tag==
" We should contact T'Kol because on my agenda for today she has Doctor Lois Lim as my second appointment for today, I just want to avoid any possible mix ups." explained Beno then added,

"From what I understand about our new Chief Tactical Officer, is she is a very responsible officer. Uses what she has to make up for what she doesn't, she also has a way of bringing out the best in officers around her. Even when said officer isn't in her department, part of what intreasted me most. She is also aware that she has a lot of room for expansion, and willing to learn."

Daniel nodded, "Yes, the report from her ex CO was glowing so I have no doubt on that front at all."

The door bell chimed and in came Lt Xardeen.

"Lieutenant Xenara Xardeen reporting as ordered, Captain," said the officer as the Captain still stood behind the desk.

"Hello, Commander." the Lieutenant said acknowledging Velaul, before doing something little strange.

Xardeen turned back to the Captain. "It's not bad news is it? I've had such an incredible day, bad news now would be devistating." She teased.

"Fortunately Lieutenant there is  no bad news, unless you don't like a formal meet and greet." said Velaul as Captain Brooks reached across the desk to a PADD and picked it up, Velaul added, "I have to admit that I haven't met very many Elaysian people, the bravest and most determined people I have ever met."

"No, on the contrary Lieutenant, I hereby affirm you acceptance of the role of Chief Tactical Officer of the USS Aquila and all the rights and privilege's the role brings with it."

He then signed the PADD and handed it over to Xardeen to sign before taking it back, he gave the offer a firm handshake and then indicated for her to take a seat as Dan also did.

"I like to keep these initial meetings short, just to touch base and make sure all the department heads are happy, ready to go so to speak." said the Captain.

"As First Officer I like to get a feel for people under our Command on a more personable basis, it also gives you the same opportunity. I have also heard good things about you from the Geronimo, as a very responsible officer. You also have a new Midshipman on his first assignment, I am sure you two will get along great. I would like to hear about your experiences with Junior officers, I hear you are very good with them." said Commander Velaul.

Captain Brooks nodded, "Yes, with bringing on junior officers it will show how well you are in being a leader of your department, it is a huge responsibility but I am sure you will be able to cope. As Commander Velaul has said, you come with a glowing report from your ex-CO. So, I have high expectations of you along with fellow officers that have come from the Geronimo."

The Captain let the words sink in before Dan picked up a small black box,

"Speaking of your previous assignment, command have sent this through to you." Sliding the black box across the desk he said,

"Congratulations on receiving SFA medal. Very much deserved, well done." Brooks said with a big smile.

==Tag Xardeen and Velaul==
Xenara smiled at Commander Velaul. While she had known she was socially popular, she was also responsible as one could be in her condition.

"I've actually met the young man," she said. "Seems eager and willing. Also has a sense of humor, which is always a boon."

Then the Trill commander said something about her race that actually made Xenara slightly blush. "Well, given our unique physiology, we sort of have to be, but thank you, Commander." 

It was then the Captain got her attention, affirming what Velaul said and solidified Xenara's position as Chief Tactical Officer with a signature and firm handshake. He motioned for her to take a seat and she did so, almost effortlessly. She had to force herself to not pick her leg up to cross it over the other; she remembered the more she moved the more her nano-exoskeleton would improve. And it almost felt natural when she crossed her legs.

"I like to keep these initial meetings short, just to touch base and make sure all the department heads are happy, ready to go so to speak." said the Captain.

"As First Officer I like to get a feel for people under our Command on a more personable basis, it also gives you the same opportunity. I have also heard good things about you from the Geronimo, as a very responsible officer. You also have a new Midshipman on his first assignment, I am sure you two will get along great. I would like to hear about your experiences with Junior officers, I hear you are very good with them." said Commander Velaul.

"A lady doesn't kiss and tell, Commander," she said, obviously teasing. She wondered if either the Trill or human had a sense of humor, but she was always one to test boundaries, even though sometimes her timing wasn't exactly that great.

"But if you'd like, I can compile a memoir of sorts. Suffice it to say, I don't have any secrets. I just try and figure out what they excel at and try and help them compensate for or overcome their weaknesses."

Captain Brooks nodded, "Yes, with bringing on junior officers it will show how well you are in being a leader of your department, it is a huge responsibility but I am sure you will be able to cope. As Commander Velaul has said, you come with a glowing report from your ex-CO. So, I have high expectations of you along with fellow officers that have come from the Geronimo."

Xenara nodded. She knew what was expected of her and her crewmates that transferred with her. She felt a sort of responisbility to make sure they all succeeded. Even though they were on a bigger ship, they were still lumped together as transfers usually were, socially anyway, so it made sense to try and stay connected.

That reminds me, I haven't seen Jez in a while...

"Aye, Sir. Leave it to Commander Sothrick to put more pressure on me even when he's not here," she teased. "I appreciate the kindness, Captain. And the exaltation. And I will endeavor to ensure it's warranted."

Great, now I sound like a Vulcan...

The Captain let the words sink in before Dan picked up a small black box,

"Speaking of your previous assignment, command have sent this through to you." Sliding the black box across the desk he said,

"Congratulations on receiving SFA medal. Very much deserved, well done." Brooks said with a big smile.

Xenara blinked as Captain Brooks slid a small black box across his desk. The Elaysian uncrossed her legs to lean forward to take the box and open it. She hadn't had a medal in a while, and even an Achievement Medal was gracious. She didn't know what she had done, but she wasn't one to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

She returned his smile. "Thank you, Captain," she said. "Have to add this to the collection."

==tag Boss man and boss lady==
Listening to Xenara Beno knew that she had a great head on her shoulders when she mentioned the kissing and telling, her eyes went wide then had a devilish look. If this was an attempt to draw out a sense of humor, it worked pretty well. There were a few ways she could spin it, and the funny way seemed best. 

"I guess that explains the good mood." Her voice was very playful. "You were either brushing up on your Italian tongue, or with my friend Carley. I can't say I blame you, Carley does like her cherry chapstick. Plus Cologero is cute, I had thoughts of kissing him too." Beno gave her a playful wink.

, "Yes, with bringing on junior officers it will show how well you are in being a leader of your department, it is a huge responsibility but I am sure you will be able to cope. As Commander Velaul has said, you come with a glowing report from your ex-CO. So, I have high expectations of you along with fellow officers that have come from the Geronimo."

"All kidding aside from what I have heard he will keep your hands full, he doesn't appear to know what it means to give up. I was Second Officer to Commander Sothrick and a good word from him is priceless." For some reason Beno was in a bit more of a playful mood than normal.
Xenara was a bit shocked at the First Officer's reaction in front of the Captain, but she was glad her ploy worked; she knew the Trill had a sense of humor and wasn't afraid to display it. Xenara feigned surprise and crossed her legs again and leaned toward the Commander. She sat the black box on the PADD she always had with her that had been on her lap.

"He is cute isn't he," she said "But then I haven't met 'Carley' yet. I haven't had any of those type of encounters, but I've always been open to new experiences. Coppala seems to be a bit of a conversationalist, and an adrenaline junkie, and with the new upgrades to my nano-exoskeleton - thanks to Commander Lorien, in time I may just be able to...experience some of that."

The Elaysain was no master of metaphor, which was ironic since she was an avid reader, which is why she always carried a PADD with her; books were too inconvinent, and besides, she had access to just about every book she could want anyway from the computer. And the Trill Commander seemed to be able to catch on to her veiled jokes rather quickly. Normally Xenara didn't see this type of interaction during mieetings of this sort. It was quite refereshing to say the least. 

It was then she realized she needed to let the dynamic duo know about her upgrades. They probably worried about the implications of them, but Alex had made it quite clear he wasn't about to turn her into some godly super soldier.

"The nanites in my new exoskeleton suit have already adapted and compensated to the point where I can walk without looking like I have cerebal palsy. That's not me saying that, it's people who have commented on my awkawrd gait. And now I don't have to explain myself. I still have issues, but in time the nanoexoskeleton suit will work those out as well. I'll never be a solider or anything like that, but I can learn to defend myself physically now and not rely on phasers. It also comes with a very convenient outfit changer. Changing clothes is still a chore, and this upgrade takes care of that. But in time the suit should compensate for that as well. While it can't do much for the actuall pull of gravity, it more than makes up for it in other ways. Would you like a demonstration?" 

She realised she had talked longer than she had planned, but she felt like the two higher ups didn't mind and needed the explaination. 

"Apologies, Captain, probably should have given you the abridged version." 

==Tag Captain and Beno==
Beno smiled again as she was answering, and the joking was over. She even gave a great explanation about her nano technology, and it was very informative. Easy for anyone to follow, and you didn't need a background in science. This was a great skill to have, talking to people not at them. "Speaking as someone with a strong Scientific background I can safely say it was abridged version, a full on scientific explanation would take hours. We wouldn't want that, or we might have been here forever."

Everything Science related has a long explanation behind it, and not everyone can handle it. When people are in a conversation and they don't understand, they stop paying attention. 

==Tag==
It was interesting hearing Lt Xardeen background as it was always fascinating medically speaking.

"Apologies, Captain, probably should have given you the abridged version." said Xardeen.

Brooks smiled and said, "No it's fine. I rather know then not." he paused as a message popped up on the terminal screen.

Looking at it he was a little shocked. "Urmm... Lieutenant... it seems as if Command wants to transfer you off this ship to another, under a different assignment....seems I have a transfer coming in your place. The USS Hood is to meet us at these coordinates to swap you over with another officer."

He paused and looked across to Beno before looking back at Xardeen, "You need to get packing, we are due to meet in the next two hours."

Brooks stood up, to which so did Xardeen, "Good luck, sorry it couldn't be any longer." The Lieutenant nodded and excited the Ready Room.

"We have enough time to catch up with the other officers, shall we have Hoekstra in next." Dan said looking at the two boxes sat on the desk.

"Brooks to Hoekstra, please report to the Ready Room. Brooks out."

He closed the channel and said, "That is a turn up for the books, never had that before."

==Tag Hoekstra and Velaul==
Just when Beno was starting to know the young women she was transferred, and now this creates a bit of a problem. Fortunately they have the solution all around them, there were a couple of officers that could take her place. Even the most capable of Officers needed guidance, fortunately there were two Officers 

"Daniel I believe that this creates a small problem for us, fortunately we also have a solution. Commander Talion who can provide him with the guidance he needs, he also brings  with him Cindy an AI that he programed. I have heard about her years ago and have been fascinated since, I have never met her but I will. The other is Lieutenant Young I have been with her since the beginning, she has had opportunities to advance but didn't feel like she was ready for it. She has demonstrated time and time again that she is ready to come out of my shadow.*

It was unfortunate that Carley never took the opportunity to come out, now there was the opportunity to do exactly that. The first test for Carley was to engage in a social environment, even when it didn't go right she didn't call for a rescue. 

"Hoekstra from my personal experience has been one of the finest Engeneering Officers I have ever worked with. I believe with the right guidance he has the right material to be First Officer, if we did our jobs right he can Command one day." 

There was a person that she spent a considerable amount of time molding into an Officer that would one day command, unfortunately it didn't work out. In the end he left to pursue a different avenue, but not before tearing down her wall.

"One last thing before Hoekstra gets here, there is something of a personal matter I should talk about. Until I know for sure I can keep my personal and professional objectivity separate, I can not get so personally involved in the Midshipmans training. You met my first student, he took a toll on me when he left. I just don't want a repeat to happen, Venta was the best until he left." He was the reason that she allowed people to get so close, but not too close.

==Tag==

==Tag Captain ==
Daniel listened to what Beno had to say on the matter of the Tactical Officer being transferred. He knew Commander Talion, while the officer was clearly very experienced Dan also remembered that they were only a temporary assignment until they got a new Chief Science Officer.

Beno then went on to talk about Hoekstra and training Midshipman.

"Well, seems like Command has already sorted out our Chief Tactical Officer problem, they are coming here as a temporary and hopefully be able to mentor the department enough to be able to leave it someone else's capable hands." said Brooks looking at the terminal screen.

"As for Midshipman training, that is now really down to the department head, you just oversee them so you should be fine on that front. I am sure Hoekstra will come to you for guidance if he needs it." said Brooks knowing the damage the Venta incident caused.

He hoped it wouldn't be long until the Chief Engineer arrived.

==Tag Hoekstra==
Having received the summons, Niels approached the ready room door. Pressing the door chime to alert Captain Brooks to his arrival, he awaited permission to enter. He took the intervening time to straighten his jacket and run a hand through his hair.

When told to enter, Niels stepped through the threshold. Seeing Commander Velaul, he greeted the First Officer with a "ma'am" and courteous nod. His face remained stoic and professional. He showed no signs of the curiosity brewing in his mind. The reason for his presence would be explained in all due time.

Coming to a stop before the captain's desk, Niels stood at attention.

"You wished to see me, sir," Niels asked. 

== Tags ==
It wasn't a few seconds later when the buzzer went and Brooks gave the permission for the officer to enter. Hoekstra was one of those officers who came across as very humble in a social situation but when it came down to doing what he needed to do on duty he was one of the best.

"Take a seat." Brooks said with a warm smile before sitting down himself.

"You are the only department head that has come through with me from the Charon, unlike the others you know what you can expect from me and Commander Velaul." he said looking briefly at the FO before back at Hoekstra.

"In fact, I wouldn't want anyone else to run the Aquila's engine room as I have complete trust in you and your abilities." the Captain paused to let it sink in before opening one of the three little boxes left on the desk beside him.

Sliding it across Captain Brooks said, "It gives me great pleasure in rewarding you for the effort you put in on the last mission, the Starfleet Commendation Medal. I feel this is really truly deserved for the work you carried out. I expect good things from you Mr Hoekstra."

He then picked up another box, "While we are on this brief subject of medals, here is also one for Lieutenant Thorn. This one is the Starfleet Achievement Medal and I thought you being her new boss you would like to award it to her for the hard work she did on the Geronimo's last mission."

==Tag Velaul and Hoekstra==