AT/D13 - Security Complex
== The Security Complex is an extensive facility that houses all the needs for the ship’s Security personnel. Training Areas, Shooting Range, and Armory are some of the larger features. The Chief of Security’s Office is located along with a few other small offices and interview rooms. There is a sizable Lounge and Rest Area that is permeated with the aroma of coffee, even in emergencies. There is also a Locker Room with refreshment facilities, a Briefing Room, and an area for communications exchange usually referred to as ‘Dispatch’. Finally, the Brig area features several holding cells, with most designed for multiple occupancy with bunk beds, refreshment stations, and an ever-present forcefield when in use. A couple cells are designated for single occupancy only, when isolated or protective custody is needed. The brig area is overwatched by a few desk terminals occupied by security personnel at all times when detainees are present. ==
== Recall Timeline ==

Receiving the recall notice hadn't affected Aeryn much as she had returned to the ship a little while ago, feeling invigorated from having spent time on DS9, and more importantly, ready to resume her duties. Shoreleave had satisfied that itch for downtime as well as keep the nerd within her happy from having walked the hallowed decks of somewhere she never thought she would get to visit. DS9 and her subsequent return to the Artemis had brought about a change in the security chief, allowing her to reevaluate the direction in which she wanted to take her life and career. Particularly putting those thoughts into action as opposed to delaying them any further when, in reality, there was no reason for her to do so.

Hiding was something that Aeryn had become adept at, even more so when it came to her emotions and upon this much needed reflection, a change was afoot, enabling her to not retreat behind her comfort zone at the first sign of something potentially scary. As for her job, Aeryn still took it seriously and would continue to push herself to be the best DH possible, but again, that hadn't fully escaped the overhaul that she had gone through.

So, after dealing with the paperwork that needed her attention, Aeryn went to the shooting range, thinking that it never hurt to get in some extra practice. Her choice of weapon was a phaser rifle and, with determination etched onto her pale features, the redhead was currently focused on the programme currently running, as her targets presented themselves. One shot, then another, and Aeryn enjoyed the adrenaline that such a workout gave her, before lining up her next shot.

== Open Tag ==
== Recall Timeline ==

Mara had been back aboard Artemis a few hours already by the time the recall came through. By her exacting standards she’d slacked off her workout routine during leave - Bajor had provided plenty of opportunities for cardio but very little lifting. She had been putting that right since she got back. When the call went out she’d had a shower and then dug out a fresh uniform.

It still felt weird to her taking time to do her hair before going back on duty, but since she’d gone for the side-shave she felt like she had to do something with it now beyond the rough and ready ponytails she’d normally favoured. In the end she’d shaved the left side of her head right back to bare skin, ran a thin braid through her hair right above the shave and then brushed everything else over to the right. It was certainly a different look but Calleja was really starting to like it.

When she’d got to the office, a pile of admin was waiting for her. For reasons she hadn’t entirely figured out, requisitions and personnel transfers and some lower-level roster swaps that needed authorisation had come across her desk. Everything that she felt comfortable with, she dealt with, and anything that she felt was above her pay grade was kicked upstairs to Chief Miller. Mara had been essentially taking on any jobs that she felt needed doing - she wasn’t designated as a shift or team leader, she didn’t head up a section like the armoury, she just got on with making sure the department kept ticking over. Her rank was apparently enough to have people send things to her in the absence of any kind of title.

With her scutwork done, Mara stopped in to pick up her sidearm from the armoury. It was Okehampton who greeted her.

“Lieutenant Calleja. That’s quite the new look,” she said, slightly wide-eyed. That wasn’t exactly unusual though. Ens Nathalie Okehampton had enjoyed such a sheltered life that pretty much anything that wasn’t straightforward regulation was new to her, and on Artemis she’d had her horizons widened early and often.

“Yeah, cheers Nat. I like it.” Mara’s accent was still just about audible, but she’d toned it right back. The informality was very much there to stay though. “You got me a sidearm please?”

“Oh, sure. Actually, I’ve got something else for you.” Okehampton opened one of the lockers and took out a holster, which she handed over to the Bandaran. “You asked for something that let you carry a knife with you, so when your authorisation came through, Beka and I came up with this. The type II phaser slots in as normal, but just behind it is a sheath for a standard combat blade.”

Calleja fixed the holster to her belt, then took the offered weapons and slid them into position.

“Very nice work,” she said, nodding appreciatively as she tested her grips. “Someone certainly worked on the spacin’. I can grab one or the other cleanly. Mag clamps are nice an’ smooth. Thanks. Both of you.”

“You’re very welcome.” Okehampton beamed as the Lieutenant gave her an irreverent half-salute and headed away.

Mara did a round-up of the active team leaders to make sure they’d checked their personnel back on board and then went to find Aeryn. She found the COS in the firing range, and stood a respectful distance back until the senior officer had finished shooting.

“Hey Chief,” Calleja called. “Gettin’ some last minute practice in? I’ve just been round. Security is back aboard an’ ready to go. Wonder who’ll be shootin’ at us this time,” she finished with a grin.

== Tags! Oh, and in case anyone is remotely interested, Mara’s haircut was inspired heavily by Natalie Dormer in Hunger Games… ==
Aeryn would never claim to be perfect or that she was a superior shot, but she did know how to deal with a target, and how to handle a weapon. A couple of near misses had made the security chief more determined to shift her focus and adapt, resulting in a better score as each round progressed. Satisfied with the outcome, Aeryn then stood back, letting the residual adrenaline linger before placing the rifle down so it could be returned to the weapons locker. Upon hearing Calleja, the Chief turned and acknowledged her friend and colleague with a warm smile, as Mara then finished with a grin.

" Something like that, and that's great as it saves me trying to round everyone up later".

Miller certainly appreciated the fact that Mara had already taken care of ensuring that all relevant personnel had reported in, and this way the department's return to readiness would definitely go a lot smoother. As for the comment about who might be shooting at them this time, Aeryn afforded her friend a grin as it wouldn't be the first time that the Artemis had gotten into a fight. " No idea, but security will be ready if someone does".

The conversation then prompted Aeryn to remember that there was something that she had wanted to discuss with Mara before the ship departed DS9 and it seemed like as good as time as any to bring it up. " Actually, I'm glad that you found me as there was something that I wanted to ask you. How about we grab a coffee and then we can talk about it".

== Tag Mara ==
"Something like that, and that's great as it saves me trying to round everyone up later."

“Yeah, well. I do what I’m best at. Scarin’ people into doin’ what they’re supposed to,” Mara replied with a feral smile. That part was definitely true. Word of what she’d done to those Cardassians had gone right around the Security department. The irony of it was that those who knew her best, knew how little anyone on her side actually had to worry.

"Actually, I'm glad that you found me as there was something that I wanted to ask you. How about we grab a coffee and then we can talk about it," Miller asked.

OK, that’s a relief. I thought she was gonna ask me to shoot. And I’m not ready for that lecture. Calleja was a passable markswoman at best, her skills with a phaser only just the right side of acceptable. She didn’t have any affinity with firearms and had shown precious little interest in getting any better.

“Uh, sure, why not.” Calleja shrugged. She fell into step with the COS. “I had a proper Klingon raktajino on DS9 and I’ve been tryin’ to get the same flavour out of the replicators. Mostly it’s been miserable failure so far. Might be ‘cause the real thing has enough caffeine to power the warp core and the replicators aren’t allowed to do the same. Sucks though 'cause I could use the kick.”
" And that's why you're my go to for stuff like that" Aeryn remarked with a slight chuckle, although there was also an honesty to the Chief's words. When it came to running a department like Security, Aeryn couldn't do it all herself and that was why she had a number of people that she counted on to ensure that all bases were covered. Mara just so happened to be her main go to along with Ziggy, and together they made quite a formidable team. When Mara then agreed to grab a coffee and fell into step with her, Aeryn was looking forward to revealing the real reason why she had wanted to talk, rather than simply grabbing a drink with a friend.

" I know what you mean, a raktajino is something else entirely" the Chief agreed, as Mara shared her experience with the Klingon beverage. While the redhead enjoyed coffee or its equivalent from different cultures, raktajino was in a league of it's own. " I wonder if we could recreate it without using a replicator" she mused as she led the way to her office.

" Until then, we'll have to make do with my special blend, unless you'd like something else?".

As Aeryn said this, she gestured for Mara to take a seat while she poured herself a mug of coffee and added cinnamon and creamer.

== Tag Mara ==
"I wonder if we could recreate it without using a replicator," Aeryn suggested.

“Not in my f*ckin’ quarters I can’t. Us peasants get a replicator and wished the best of luck,” Mara threw back. There was no malice in her tone, just an amused lilt as she cracked the joke. “And I’m pretty sure you won’t want me testin’ out full Klingon coffee machines in the office. ‘Cause that blast radius will take some explainin’ to the Captain.”

Calleja was in good form today. She’d had a true break during leave and felt like she’d taken steps in the right direction, not just in her career but life in general as well.

"Until then, we'll have to make do with my special blend, unless you'd like something else?"

“Nah, I’m good. I’ll try your version,” the Bandaran said as she sat herself down in the proffered seat.

She idly wondered if Aeryn knew how often she’d commandeered this office when needed, and then dismissed the thought. The COS didn’t operate like that, which was one of the reasons the two of them got on so well for the most part.
Mara's response to Aeryn's suggestion had the chief trying not to laugh, because she knew the dimensions of the crew quarters very well, even if those on the Artemis were considered luxurious compared to other ships. The Bandaran wasn't far off the mark either if Aeryn did let her try to brew raktajino in the security complex, because if things went wrong, then she could only imagine Captain Crawford's reaction. " Yeah you're right, we don't want to incur the Captain's or Elias' wrath by trying to make our own".

With Mara accepting the offer to have a mug of Aeryn's special blend, the chief smiled as she poured her a cup and brought it over to her on a small tray so Mara could add whatever she wanted to it. " It might not have the same kick, but I like to think it's pretty good, and this particular blend has seen me through many crises," Aeryn revealed as she took the seat opposite. 

" Now I know that you're probably wondering why I wanted to talk to you, and it's not just about us catching up over coffee," Aeryn began, before taking a gentle sip of the aroma-filled beverage. " How would you feel about being my assistant chief of security?".

The Chief had found that it was best to get the important stuff out of the way, and considering what it was concerning, it had gone to the top of the list. 

== Tag Mara ==
"It might not have the same kick, but I like to think it's pretty good, and this particular blend has seen me through many crises," Aeryn revealed as she took the seat opposite.

Mara took a careful sniff of the aromatic brew before nodding. She had the mug to her lips taking a sip when the COS continued.

"Now I know that you're probably wondering why I wanted to talk to you, and it's not just about us catching up over coffee," Aeryn began. "How would you feel about being my assistant chief of security?"

Wait, what?

There was a moment’s pause before Mara slowly and carefully laid the mug down on the desk.

“Uh… Yeah, wasn’t expectin’ that,” she said eventually. She laughed softly to herself and shook her head. “Definitely wasn’t expectin’ that.”

How do I answer this? Her mind raced at breakneck speeds. It’s a step up. It’s extra responsibilities. It’s the… the clout and the authority. I feel like I should be worried about makin’ the step but I’m not, not even a lil’ bit. But how does it change us?

Calleja’s broad shoulders rose and fell as she drew in a deep breath, held it for a second, and then exhaled slowly. The motion helped her find the moment’s clarity she needed before she responded.

“I mean, I’m not gonna turn around and say no. You know me better than that,” she said with a smile. “But you also know me well enough to know that I’m gonna speak my mind and it might not always be what you wanna hear. I don’t do it to be the ass in the room. I do it ‘cause I want us to be our best versions.”

Dark eyes met and held Aeryn’s gaze.

“I don’t wanna sound ungrateful here ‘cause I’m not. This is one hell of a chance and I wanna take it. But I need to know that it’s still gonna be OK to disagree. I can be your number 2, the one that’s got your back. But I’m still me, and I’m still gonna keep pushing us to be better. Even if you do have to tell me to shut it sometimes.”

Mara cracked a smile as she spoke, trying to take the edge off it. There was no getting away from the fact that the Bandaran was prone to being feisty and assertive to the point of argumentative. She was not someone used to biting her tongue. But when it came down to it, when push came to shove, she would put every ounce of that strength behind her friends and her crewmates.
Aeryn watched as Mara reacted to what had been asked of her, understanding that her friend and fellow officer would be slightly surprised by what Aeryn had said. In fact, it was something that the Chief had anticipated, after thinking about the opportunity that she could offer, and why Mara had been the first person she thought of when making this decision. " I didn't think you would be," Aeryn replied softly before returning to her coffee, in order to allow Mara time to process it all and give Aeryn an answer.

Regardless, if it was a yes or a no, it wouldn't affect their friendship or their working relationship, because frankly, Aeryn knew that she could count on the Bandaran to keep her centred, and continue to develop their careers together. Those might take different directions but what Aeryn needed the most was someone to step up, take charge when she couldn't and when Mara then spoke, a smile played on the Chief's lips. This is exactly what Aeryn had wanted to hear as Mara's dark eyes met hers.

" Yes, it's still okay for you to disagree, and to keep pushing us to be the best we can be, while supporting me as Chief" Aeryn began. " It's because of who you are, that I wanted you to be my second in command, because you're not afraid to tell me the truth or have my back when I need it the most".

The redhead paused for a moment before continuing. " I don't know what will happen when we leave DS9 and head back out for our next mission, but I wanted to do this now rather than wait".

== Tag Mara ==
"Yes, it's still okay for you to disagree, and to keep pushing us to be the best we can be, while supporting me as Chief," Aeryn began. "It's because of who you are, that I wanted you to be my second in command, because you're not afraid to tell me the truth or have my back when I need it the most."

That managed the impossible - it shut Mara up. She didn’t know what to say, as praise was one of the few things she handled worse than a firearm.

The redhead paused for a moment before continuing.

"I don't know what will happen when we leave DS9 and head back out for our next mission, but I wanted to do this now rather than wait."

“Uh, yeah.” The new Assistant Chief of Security scratched at the back of her neck absently with an embarrassed smile. “Thanks. I’m glad you did. Now I understand why I got so much paperwork sat waitin’ for me.”

She took another sip of coffee, trying to process what had just happened.

“So what’s the plan for the next mission? I’m guessin’ at this point you know as much as the rest of us?” Mara asked. “And yeah. While I’m here. Can I get that f*ckin’ ‘fight night’ thing cancelled now? It bothers me that we encourage everyone to take out their frustrations by beatin’ the livin’ hell outta each other. I thought we’d moved past that centuries ago.”

Calleja’s disdain for boxing, martial arts and pretty much everything along similar lines was well known. She believed that violence was a last resort, not something that should be glorified or actively sought out in the name of leisure and entertainment, and she was not shy about sharing that belief. It had led to some very heated debates over the years and the Bandaran had never backed down. She wasn’t as confrontational about it - she hadn’t told martial arts classes they were ‘a bunch of playfighting amateurs’ in some time - but her convictions were still as strong as ever
One thing Aeryn liked to do with any of her officers was to tell the truth, especially when it came to praise, and while she understood that some people struggled with that, it had to be said. So as Mara processed Aeryn's honesty, the security chief drank some more of her aromatic coffee, her first of the day before the Bandaran spoke, and mentioned the extra paperwork. Of course Aeryn would be remiss if she didn't notice the slight embarrassment emanating from Mara, but again she could relate to that in a way after she had entered the path to seniority. " I'm glad that I did too, and yes it's a hazard of the job".

As talk turned to the next mission, Mara had guessed correctly as Aeryn didn't know any of the specifics as yet, but that would no doubt change either before or just after launch. " Correct, although I'm sure we'll find out soon enough".

When Mara then brought up the subject of Fight Night and more specifically her reservations concerning the tradition, as well as her reasons for wanting it to be cancelled. Aeryn mulled it over for a couple of minutes, wondering if it would be possible to convince her Assistant COS to see the benefits of such an event. " I understand your reservations and concerns, but before I consider it I'd like you to come along to one of the Fight Nights, and see for yourself that it's much more than taking out your frustrations on someone else. I know it might be hard to believe, but it does promote unity and improve morale".

Aeryn hadn't partaken herself just yet, but she had seen her officer's in action and was even considering joining the next time that it was held.

== Tag Mara ==
"I understand your reservations and concerns, but before I consider it I'd like you to come along to one of the Fight Nights, and see for yourself that it's much more than taking out your frustrations on someone else. I know it might be hard to believe, but it does promote unity and improve morale."

“Yeah, that ain’t happenin’.” The reply was instant. “I’ve had this job 11 seconds, but I’d rather give it you back than have anythin’ to do with a boxin’ session. That’s one of my red lines and I am not crossin’ it.”

The conviction in her voice clung to every syllable. There was a spark in her dark eyes that hadn’t been there before as they broached a topic that she was very passionate about. Not that long ago she would have stormed out but now she decided to explain herself.

“Not bein’ funny here, but I’ve been around violence and fightin’ literally my entire life,” Mara said, her voice starting to rise in volume. “There were years-long periods where it was just constant. All day, every day. You wanna see tomorrow? You wanna eat? Go to a different district? Fight for it! Havin’ been surrounded by that, the idea of fightin’ for entertainment or buildin’ spirit… It doesn’t work. It just breeds more f*ckin’ violence and the whole sh*tshow starts again!”

The coffee mug banged down on the desk as she finished speaking. Shoulders rose and fell as Calleja drew in a deep breath and let it out slowly to centre herself. It was a bitter irony that violence was both something she was uniquely skilled at and something she totally abhorred.

“Sorry for raisin’ my voice, that was outta line,” she added, her tone dropping back to normal as her self-control returned and buried the anger deep down within herself. “All the same. Askin’ me to go to a boxin’ match is like tryin’ to get an alcoholic to go to a bar. I feel that strongly about it. You wanna go, go. I know my viewpoint is skewed ‘cause of where I come from. Just please, don’t expect me to come. It’s not gonna happen and it’s gonna put a wedge between us. And I don’t want that.”

Mara sighed deeply.

“You regrettin’ your decision yet?” she asked with a wry smile.
Mara's instant reply and dismissal of the idea of accompanying Aeryn to fight night had the security chief stop her current train of thought, especially when the Bandaran began to explain the reasons why. Rather than interrupt, Aeryn chose to listen, and understandably so, as she had never had quite this reaction to a tradition that had started way before her time here. There had been variations of it of course, but if this was a red line that Mara didn't want to cross, then Aeryn wasn't going to force her to do that. The conviction in the other woman's voice and how it started to rise in volume told Aeryn just how strong her disdain was, especially for something that was supposed to hash out any grievances, let out frustration and build respect. While the security chief had no issue with it personally, as long as it didn't affect anyone's ability to work and follow orders, Mara's explanation made a lot of sense.

Even as her mug banged onto the table, Aeryn chose to let Mara work through the emotions and anger that had been raised unintentionally, before her Assistant COS apologised, and expanded on how strongly she felt about it all, why her viewpoint wasn't the same as Aeryn's and just as importantly why she didn't want it to drive a wedge between them. That was the furthest thing on Aeryn's mind and as Mara sighed, then asked if Aeryn was regretting her decision, the Chief placed her own mug down and looked straight at Mara.

" No, it gives me another reason why I made the right decision" she began, with the same honesty as before. " I understand why you don't want to partake in Fight Night, and I can assure you that I'm not going to make you attend, and that this won't drive a wedge between us. If things ever change, then you just let me know, but for now I'll take your suggestion under advisement, and is there anything else you'd like to share or ask with you now being my Assistant Chief?".
Aeryn paused her conversation with Mara for a moment, in order to send a message to the Bridge, confirming her department's readiness. Tapping her badge, the Chief spoke clearly and concisely.

" Miller to Bridge, Security is ready".
Truth be told, Mara was still struggling to handle how this meeting had gone so far. She’d been promoted, then run her mouth and somehow still had the job. Her sharp tongue was far and away her biggest enemy in her career to date but despite her own best efforts, it hadn’t cost her this time.

As Aeryn sent her message to the Bridge, the newly elevated aCOS took a moment to rally.

“Anythin’ to share? Nah. Nothin’ beyond the usual feelin’ of doom that comes with Artemis settin’ out into the stars,” Mara said to answer the question. “Word is spreadin’ about an order to leave the dependants and non-combatants behind. And that is never a good sign. Not with our record. I’m already comin’ to terms with the enemy I haven’t killed yet.”

Broad shoulders rose and fell as she shrugged.

“I’ve tried to calm people down where I can. Just the usual. Don’t suppose you’ve heard anythin’ about where we’re goin’ and who’s waitin’ for us there?” the Bandaran asked.
Changing the topic of conversation didn't mean that Aeryn didn't value what Mara had said with regard to her concerns. If anything, it was more to do with the fact that she wanted to cover everything and ensure that Mara knew everything that she needed too, before their attention shifted to the mission and whatever that entailed. At least she had reported the department's readiness, mentally ticking it off her usual launch checklist, before Mara answered her and shared her thoughts about the sense of doom that one usually associated with the Artemis leaving the safety of a station or docking ring, and what most would call normality.

" Yes I've heard that too, and that feeling of doom is something that I share" Aeryn began truthfully. " It never is and that's understandable after everything that we've been through so far".

When Mara then spoke about calming people down as much as possible, Aeryn could relate to that as it was never an easy thing to do, especially without knowing what they were potentially up against. This led to her Assistant Chief asking if Aeryn knew anything and the Chief could only be honest with her.

" Not yet, although I expect that to change, and in the meantime, all we can do is be as prepared as possible".

As she said this, Aeryn picked up a PADD and consulted the information on it, which she then shared with Mara. " At least we don't have to worry about a lack of firepower and weaponry as the Armoury inventory is all up to date and all of the new supplies have been distributed accordingly.
Shortly after launch, Calleja and Miller both received the following text summons:

[Report to the transporter room for immediate transport to the USS Philadelphia for a mission briefing. Briefing starts in ten.]
"Not yet, although I expect that to change, and in the meantime, all we can do is be as prepared as possible."

“Yeah. Which on Artemis means more guns and equipment. And nothin’ says ‘relax’ more than a heavily armed Security department increasin’ patrols.” Mara sighed. “That’s not aimed at you. Just the situation. Dunno about you, but I’ve found, on a lot of ships, the crew are more reassured the less they see us. If we’re chargin’ round, somethin’s up. Just feel like we could do with de-escalatin’ things as much as we can right now.”

The COS pushed a PADD across the desk to her number 2.

"At least we don't have to worry about a lack of firepower and weaponry as the Armoury inventory is all up to date and all of the new supplies have been distributed accordingly,” Miller said.

“Yeah, that’s not a surprise. Artemis armoury has learned not to keep Crawford or Braggins waitin’ for their guns,” Calleja replied. The harsh bark of her laugh indicated that she thought it was a joke as she read the details and passed the data slate back.

A pronounced buzz came from the Bandaran’s pocket, and she pulled out her PADD to see a text message from the Captain. The same message was evidently coming in for Aeryn as well.

[Report to the transporter room for immediate transport to the USS Philadelphia for a mission briefing. Briefing starts in ten.]

“Well, here we go,” Mara said. “Didn’t think it would take long. And the Philly? I guess Morgan didn’t wanna host for once.” She levered herself up out of the chair. “Better not keep the boss waitin’. Either of them.”

>> Transporter Room >>
<< Transporter Room <<

Aeryn had saved some of her precious time by calling ahead to the Armoury, the second she had rematerialised on the Artemis transporter pad. With space being at a premium once the away team boarded the Waverider, the Security Chief had to be smart about what to take. Taking into consideration the number of people that would be making up both teams, their respective proficiencies, and how much potential firepower they would need, Aeryn wasn't going to leave anything to chance, especially with whom they were going up against.

She had seen what they were capable of, even if she didn't face them one on one, something that would likely change, once they realised that intruders were on the Callisto. So, with that in mind, and not wanting to forget anything vital, Aeryn ran through her mental checklist as she arrived and inspected the items that she had requested.

Type II and Type III phasers, a handful of PR1s, sufficient energy packs, and gas masks. Everything else would likely be taken care of and as for helping medical with the canisters, that could happen during transit. Satisfied, Aeryn then excused herself briefly and went into the locker room. Without standing on ceremony, Aeryn replicated a black jumpsuit before quickly removing her uniform. Considering the urgency, she placed it in a neat pile inside her allocated locker or as neat as she could be bothered. Aeryn then got dressed, taking a minute to inspect the change from orange to plain black.

Don't think about it, just go out there and do your damn best

Making a slight adjustment, Aeryn then walked out and sealed the three crates containing the weapons and gas masks. One last piece of business and then Aeryn could return to the Philly. Not that Lieutenant Tinvan Maros was difficult to seek out, thanks to the Betazoid's stature and alluring voice. The Gamma Shift Leader was sufficiently experienced and could handle things while she and Calleja were otherwise engaged.

" Hey Tin, can I have a word?".

" Sure, Boss".

Without hesitation, Aeryn led Maros over to a quiet corner and quickly filled him in, giving him the basics and what was expected of him until she returned. It was a sign of their working relationship that Maros didn't press her further and instead told her to stay safe. Conversation over, Aeryn then picked up a PADD and typed a message to Cera.

[FAO Lt Commander Morgan, Lieutenant Tinvan Maros will be looking after security whilst I'm gone]

Pressing send, Aeryn then double-checked everything as she didn't want to forget a single thing.

== Tag Cera, anyone who wants to see Aeryn before she leaves ==
The way in which Aeryn meticulously rechecked the contents of each crate had been borne from the moment she could handle a tricorder, and help with the botany bays back on the research outpost. While other children her age played games or simply hung out, Aeryn preferred to get her hands dirty, or read some fascinating paper on the latest scientific developments. Sure she got teased, but she had learnt to filter that out and focus on what was important to her. Valuable skills for how she lived her life, and how she had adapted them to suit her needs, following her change to security.

Occasionally Aeryn sometimes wondered what it would have been like if she hadn't struggled at the Academy, and ended up in Science after all. Thoughts that she easily dismissed when she realised that, despite the trauma, and the loss of the man she loved, that she belonged in her chosen profession of Security. She might not be perfect, and not know everything, but when it truly came down to it, it wasn't just about her, and she could handle herself with whatever was thrown at her. Life was never easy. Aeryn knew that, and this mission would no doubt test her limits. That would be her cross to bear as Ensign Zeros approached with the remaining sets of body armour, which the Chief quickly acknowledged.

" Thanks Ensign".

All that was left to be done, was to get the crates transported across to the Philly, and Aeryn would personally oversee them herself, as the crates were then loaded onto an anti-grav lift. With one last look around her department, not to say goodbye but rather adieu for now, Aeryn left with the anti-grav and towards what would be her home for the duration of the mission.

>> Philadelphia >>
>> Philadelphia >>

Mara made it back to Artemis without putting her foot in her mouth again, and she arrived at the Armoury in short order. Nat Okehampton was waiting for her.

“Hey Oke. The Chief been back yet?” the Bandaran asked.

“Been and gone,” the brunette replied. “Carrying enough hardware to arm a full ground assault. Do I really want to know what she needs all that for?”

“I wish I could tell you. I really do.” Mara sighed. “This secret sh*t just fuels paranoia and gossip and people bein’ arseholes to each other. But I can’t. We’re gonna have to talk about it another time.”

She pulled a PADD from her pocket.

“Have you got a list there of what Miller requisitioned?” Mara asked. “I need to compare notes. Captain gave me a list, and I need to get strapped too.”

“Yes, I do. Hang on.” The Ensign picked a data slate up from the shelves behind her, checked it and handed it over. “Here you are.”

“Perfect.” Calleja flicked through the list, nodded, and then updated her own PADD before handing both over to Okehampton. “Can you get me a blacked out tactical suit so I can go get changed, and then sort the rest of this out for me please?”

Nat read through the list, and then looked up at Mara.

“I thought you were a reluctant fighter,” she said, teasing the Bandaran gently.

Broad shoulders rose and fell as the Lieutenant shrugged.

“When I gotta fight, you better believe I’m gonna do it properly,” she replied evenly.

“Yes ma’am!” Okehampton said. She ducked into the Armoury and came back out with a kitbag. “Here’s your armour. Give me a few minutes to round up the rest.”

Mara took the bag with a nod and headed back to the COS’ office, knowing Aeryn was already gone. She sank into the big chair, drew in a deep breath to calm herself, and let it out slowly.

“Computer. Record please.” She paused for a moment.

[Confirm recording type.]

“Last will and testament.” The words stuck in her throat at first, but eventually she found them. “I, Mara Calleja, want to put my wishes on record in case of my death. My apartment in Copenhagen and its contents to go to Daan and Ravenna Sydesh who are currently livin’ there. My personal effects to be returned to Bandar IV, the weapons to the Star Fleet mission there for trainin’ and display purposes. And if there’s enough of my body left, I want to be laid to rest in the central Gardens of Remembrance of Bandar City, as per the privilege earned by my service in Star Fleet. Please confirm recordin’ and file appropriately.”

There was a moment’s pause as the computer did its work. Mara wasn’t remotely religious or spiritual. She didn’t believe at all in any kind of life after death and couldn’t care less what happened to her body after she was done with it. But funerals weren’t for the deceased. They were for those left behind, and her parents back home would be able to draw some comfort from her return and the prestige of her final resting place being in amongst the best and brightest Bandar IV had produced. Very few ever emerged from that brutal planet, and fewer still made it to Star Fleet.

[Recording confirmed. Last will and testament filed.]

With that done, Mara stood up and got changed. She’d requisitioned a full armoured suit in matt black. As per usual it was custom sized for her frame and it fitted like a glove, her prodigious strength meaning she didn’t even notice the weight. Fastening the breastplate and backplate in place, she pulled on the fingerless but still armoured gloves, tied her hair back and then headed to the Armoury.

Okehampton was out the back still, but the tray of weapons that Calleja had requested for herself was sat behind the counter. She used her access to gain entry and then geared up.

By the time she was done, she had holsters on both hips each carrying a type II phaser and a combat knife with a darkened blade. Another thinner knife was secreted in her boot, and she had a concealed spring-loaded blade strapped to the underside of her left arm. Armoured webbing around her waist carried an array of grenades and charge packs, and she checked the rifle over, slotted the charge pack home and then slung it over her shoulder. She secreted her PADD in a thigh pocket just in case, and then a tricorder calibrated for security work went in a hip pocket. The helmet was equipped with a retractable face plate and airtight seal if needed, and she clipped it to her belt as she returned to the ‘right’ side of the desk.

At that point Nat emerged with a kit bag in each hand.

“You found your guns then,” she said with a deadpan expression.

“Yes thanks.” Mara’s feral smile returned. “You got my extras?”

“I have. Bag one.” She hoisted it up onto the counter. “A full set of earpieces as requested for both teams. I didn’t bother with the helmets because Lieutenant Miller already picked those up with the protective gear she took. I also have your requested sets of directional charges and remote mines.”

Nat strained to lift the second bag but dumped it next to the first.

“And this is your transport pattern enhancers and scramblers,” she added. “Thank Support for getting those here so fast, they’re apparently on a war footing.”

“Thanks Nat. I appreciate that.” Mara picked both bags up easily. “I’ll see you when I get back.”

“You better. And try not to get too much blood all over my gear. It’s such a pain to clean.”

Mara laughed her harsh, barking laugh before she nodded to Nat and headed away to the Philadelphia.

>> Waverider Dock, Philadelphia >>