AT/D08 - Medical Complex
== The primary sickbay for the USS Artemis is designed to treat large numbers of injured or ill crew members. It consists of three primary wards: Triage/Main Treatment, Pre-Op/Trauma, and Intensive/Primary Surgery. Doors lead to labs (two located within the complex itself), restrooms, offices for the Chief Medical Officer and Head Counselor, a doctor's lounge, and a morgue.

Each ward has nurse stations, with that of the Head Nurse (or primary shift nurse) being located in Pre-Op/Trauma. These stations consist of a desk and computer terminal, with storage drawers and cabinets located above and to the sides. Larger storage lockers are located throughout the complex, as well as lockers for medication. Biobeds line the walls with sensor clusters above, allowing for the diagnosis and treatment of several injured simultaneously. Each ward has its own dedicated replicator used to produce materials as needed.

The main entrance to the Medical Complex leads to Reception, where a triage nurse is stationed at all times. New patients are assigned beds and appropriate medical personnel are notified. In Triage patients are diagnosed, treated, or transferred to Trauma or Surgery as needed.

In addition to its normal biobeds the Trauma Ward has four Isolation Bays where patients who are contaminated can be treated. These can be sealed with force fields set to various levels to screen out toxins, radiation, or disease. Dangerous individuals can also receive treatment in these bays with a minimum of risk for other patients and staff.

The Main Diagnostic Biobed (MDB) is located in the center of Intensive Care/Primary Surgery. It has a suite of powerful sensors and other tools to allow doctors to diagnose especially difficult cases. Eight intensive care biobeds surround the MDB, and two Surgical Bays are available as needed.

The Artemis Medical Complex is equipped with an Emergency Medical Hologram (EMH) to assist in times of emergency. Emitters are located throughout the Sickbay.

The Doctor's Lounge has numerous comfortable chairs, and a main table in the center. A replicator is available for food and drink, along with a notoriously old and cranky coffee machine. There are several ferns located in the corners, a viewscreen, and an on-call room available for doctors to rest.

Recovery rooms, storage, and break rooms for nursing staff and orderlies are located nearby. There are two smaller sickbays located elsewhere in the ship, mostly used for treatment of minor injuries and non-critical medical procedures.

All areas have the ability to use forcefields and holoprojectors for both containment, restful scenery, or even provide the assistance of an Emergency Medi
cal Hologram. ==
== Recall Timeline ==

The recall had found Beka in one of her better moods. The break had done her good and she still had a couple of pep talks ringing in her ears. Her mobility was improving every day now that she’d started taking her physio seriously, although she still had to wear the synaptic enhancer to compensate for the spinal injury. She needed another round of surgery but that would have to wait for the return to Starbase Alpha.

As the rest of the Medical team filtered in, the redhead was on good enough form for a few of her trademark jibes. She checked off the surgical roster as the officers reported back in and once they were all confirmed aboard, she looked around for Robin to report in.
Robin put her head in her hands and groaned, kicking back in her office chair. She'd arrived for her shift nearly two hours early and still felt groggy and half-awake, and that was despite the second cup of demon-coffee from Sickbay's ancient coffee machine. Two nurses down. Again. Troxez and Jackson-Surin had both applied for transfers, and despite their claims that they had done so for personal reasons (and Robin had no reason to doubt them) the paranoid part of her brain kept nagging her that it was somehow her fault. She had just felt she was getting a handle on the personnel changes when it happened. Both nurses would be staying on DS9 as the ship departed. And their absence meant that other nurses would have to fill in the void, working even longer.

Star Fleet has got to get a handle on this before we're crewing ships with holograms.

She stood up. The schedule was what it was, and staring at it until the terminal burst into flames wasn't going to help. Leaving her office she was happy to see Beka standing there checking the surgical roster. "Hey, Beka. Ready to go?" she said with a grin she really didn't feel. As soon as she smiled she regretted doing so; Beka had always been able to see right through her, and wasn't going to be fooled for a second. At least the redhead looked better. She was recovering from the incident that had nearly broken her and was much more of her fiery self. Good. Robin would need that.

The purple-haired nurse hoped she didn't look as bad as she felt. Her short pixie-cut had been newly styled, her uniform pressed and ready, and yet she knew she looked tired. She hadn't been sleeping well lately. Even the brief shore leave on DS9 hadn't helped, but Robin couldn't pin down exactly why. She was having bad dreams, alternating between the 'what the hell was that?' type of bizarre acid trips and distinct memory dreams of battles. She'd just finished a round of therapy after the incident on Utopia Planitia and felt like she already needed to schedule another appointment.

And worse, she felt like the upcoming mission was going to be a bad one. She wasn't sure why, but it was just something she felt in her bones. Her mother would have told her to trust her instincts but they were at war with her usually much more chipper self.

== Tags ==
"Hey, Beka. Ready to go?"

A long list of replies flashed through the redhead’s mind as she looked over at her friend. Robin might have been able to convince the rest of the department but she had no chance with Beka. The two of them had been close for so long that there was no hiding place from each other, whether they liked it or not.

“Yeah, I’m good to go,” she replied in the end. As she fell into step alongside the CMO, she snuck an arm around Robin’s slender shoulders for a quick hug she meant to be reassuring. Beka had decided on discretion, which was an unusual choice for her, but they were about to launch again into the unknown and she didn’t think this was the time for calling anyone out.

“I did a quick check before coming to find you,” the doctor continued. “Surgical teams are all back and the nurses were just finishing their checks. We’re down a few but you probably know that better than I do. Still. More than enough for the usual carnage that we seem to take with us. We’re on a crew that can start a riot with a bowl of bat soup. Can you imagine what would happen in an actual combat zone.”

A mischievous grin spread across Sydesh’s face as she cracked the joke.
The redheaded doctor was ready. As Beka gave Robin a quick hug the purple-haired Lieutenant took a deep breath, then gave her best friend a genuine smile and said simply "Thanks." She had needed that.

“I did a quick check before coming to find you,” Beka continued. “Surgical teams are all back and the nurses were just finishing their checks. We’re down a few but you probably know that better than I do. Still. More than enough for the usual carnage that we seem to take with us. We’re on a crew that can start a riot with a bowl of bat soup. Can you imagine what would happen in an actual combat zone.”

That got a laugh out of the young CMO. "Good to hear. I'm still waiting to hear from the command crew about what the big mission is, but I'm not exactly feeling optimistic. I still wish they'd send us on an honest-to-God exploration mission, but ours is not to question why." She hoped the medical staff was ready. She'd had chances to get to know some of them, and although most were green they seemed as far removed from the errant (now former) Midshipman Alken as it was possible to be. "The first one of my staff that goes and starts tasting alien food in an abandoned station is going to walk the plank. I had one custom built. It's in cargo bay 3. Got the Artemis logo on it and everything," she said with chuckle, getting a 'what the hell are you talking about?' look from a nearby orderly that just served to amuse Robin more. She felt a little better. Beka seemed to always be able to bring that out, make her problems seem less total.

== Tag ==
"The first one of my staff that goes and starts tasting alien food in an abandoned station is going to walk the plank. I had one custom built. It's in cargo bay 3. Got the Artemis logo on it and everything."

Beka laughed out loud.

“OK, I can definitely see Mayfair’s Plank catching on as a thing,” she replied with a grin. “Pretty sure the Captain would be only too happy to actually nail it in place as long as she got to pick a couple of victims.”

Since her injury, the redhead’s profile had been much lower and she hadn’t seen the CO in a while, so she was fairly hopeful that Crawford had forgotten about her. Otherwise there was a high likelihood of the doctor’s name being on the list for Mayfair’s Plank.

“As for what we’re doing… Yeah, exploration would be nice. I don’t want to have to worry about my bestie deciding to contract a plague that wiped out an entire ship’s crew, or getting patients riddled with Cardassian-inflicted holes and experimental venom. That would be amazing.”

There was a wry smile on Beka’s lips as she spoke.

“Wherever we go, and whatever we end up facing, this crew’s ability to find new ways to get hurt is quite something,” she added. “Whenever I talk to my old Academy classmates, they don’t have to worry about half of what we do. I think we’ve got it better.”

She paused.

“Maybe,” she finished with another grin.
Beka was absolutely right about the crew's ability to get themselves injured in new and creative ways. Robin wasn't sure how much other medical departments had to worry about such things, but she doubted it was anywhere near as common on most ships.

She gave a bit of a laugh. "Point taken. Believe me, I don't plan on making a habit of that, and I doubt Calleja does either. At least I hope she doesn't. I don't suppose 'it seemed like a good idea at the time' works as an excuse, does it?"

She'd had time to discuss the Brittany virus with the ship's virologist afterwards, and he was adamant that she'd taken a hell of a risk despite the work of the derelict ship's EMH. The ability of the virus to adapt could have easily overwhelmed even her system, and worse could have created an even deadlier strain with access to fresh Augment DNA. He called it the "will of Allah" that she had survived and that the plan worked, and the CMO couldn't disagree. It was on top of her list of things to never do again. Still, she considered it a winning gamble, and couldn't have just let Elias and Whitby die with the chance of saving them.

She shrugged, deciding to change the subject. She still had vivid nightmares about the tomb-ship. "I don't think I'm going to wait for the Bridge to request a 'ready for departure."

== Tag ==
Robin tapped her badge. "Medical Complex to Bridge. This is the Chief Medical Officer. Reporting ready for departure."
"Point taken. Believe me, I don't plan on making a habit of that, and I doubt Calleja does either. At least I hope she doesn't. I don't suppose 'it seemed like a good idea at the time' works as an excuse, does it?"

“I mean, if it did, half this crew would be Admirals by now,” Beka replied. “And Captain Crawford’s blood pressure might be on the same planet as normal, as opposed to a couple of beats off holy sh*t 24/7.”

The redhead stood off as Robin did her CMO thing and called readiness through to the Bridge. She knew better than to interrupt that and risk bringing down the wrath of everyone on her head again.

With the report done, she looked over at her friend.

“So what’s the plan until we hit trouble?” Beka asked. “I’ve got some electives I could be doing. The usual clearing up after other surgeons and checking in on some post-ops. Just haven’t had the chance to do any on shore leave. I’ve needed the break for once.”

The two of them hadn’t really spoken much about Robin’s plans for the department. Whenever they met up they’d usually been trying to distract each other from their problems, not focus back in on work. Now seemed as good a time as any.

I mean, that mind of hers, focused on doing things better? Watch out galaxy! Sydesh thought to herself.
"So what’s the plan until we hit trouble?" Beka asked. "I’ve got some electives I could be doing. The usual clearing up after other surgeons and checking in on some post-ops. Just haven’t had the chance to do any on shore leave. I’ve needed the break for once.."

"I'm honestly glad you took it." The purple-haired nurse considered for a moment. "Until I get the briefing let's hold off on electives. We might be charging into battle really soon, or we might be heading somewhere that'll take weeks or even use the Slipstream. Use your discretion about cleanups and monitor post-ops." She knew she didn't have to remind Beka how quickly the Slipstream could go south. They'd both been aboard when it had malfunctioned in the Delta Quadrant, something that had led to numerous serious injuries.

It'd be nice if someone would let Sickbay know beforehand.

"I'd like you to take the floor. Permanently. I need someone I can trust in a supervisory role, since this medical crew is about as green as an Amazon rainforest. Whatever we're going into is serious, I know that much. They've offloaded most of the civilians and the non-critical personnel. We're not exactly a ghost crew, but it's pretty clear that Star Fleet is expecting serious trouble. I've seen you repeatedly keep medical people in line, and that was when we were lower rank and you were dealing with your technical superiors." Robin emphasized the word 'technical' to show what she thought of that. She'd seen Beka handle a group of higher-ranking doctors who were screwing around in the lounge during a red alert, and she knew the redhead never had a problem standing up for herself or doing what was right.

She smiled at her friend. "You've now got full authority to handle problems in whatever way you think is appropriate short of the airlock. And, to be blunt, it's about time you got back on your career track, so now's the time." Beka would have already gotten her second full pip if she had been able to stay on board the Artemis, but Robin completely understood that family came first. The hit to Beka hadn't been just been to her career, but to her self-esteem. The trip to rescue her brother had gone badly and her friend had returned seriously injured and needing large amounts of physical therapy. She was recovering, physically and emotionally, but that took time. But it also took a superior officer who was willing to kick her butt a little, and that was now her job as well.

"Dr. Östberg will take second shift, but the floor is yours during any 'all hands' situations as well. I'll keep things organized and make sure you have what you need. I don't think Östberg would give you any lip, but he's as stubborn and bull-headed as you," she said with a grin that showed she considered it a compliment, "and so I'll make it clear to him that he's to shut up and follow your lead."

Östberg, a large blond-haired surgeon who reminded Robin of the Viking god Thor (at least from the old Earth movies), was the Ensign she'd recruited because she needed experienced doctors. He was actually older and more experienced than either Robin or Beka, but he was a bit of a loose cannon who had been busted in rank after knocking his former CMO out during an argument. She understood his reasons; he'd saved a young Midshipman's life during the Borg Megasphere battle, but by the same token she couldn't have anyone thinking they ran the show. She was CMO, and had made it clear to him that she would bury him under the deck plating if he so much as laid a finger on her. He hadn't given her any problems, but she wasn't going to let him. He knew the Artemis was his last chance, and so far had been a model officer.

"Kaori Ito's doing fine as Head Nurse, so you won't have to worry about the nursing staff." The tall Japanese woman was as reserved as any vulcan, the result of trauma she'd gone through during the Megasphere battle, but she'd proven to be a fine replacement for Robin in her job. At least that was one less headache for the CMO.

She laughed lightly. "It's funny, you and me, we're not that experienced, and a lot of officers would still think we're just as green as the Middies and Ensigns we've got, but here we are. So we'll make it work, somehow."

She hoped. This might be Robin's first real test as CMO, and she knew it.

== Tag ==
It was testament to the strength of Beka and Robin’s friendship that the feisty redhead took the gentle but still firm kick to her posterior in the spirit it was meant. For all her skill as a surgeon, there was little doubt that she still had a way to go before she was truly ready for another step up. Star Fleet wasn’t an entirely welcoming place for someone who still had quite so many non-conformist tendencies.

I’m lucky though. I’m in the right place she thought to herself as she listened to the CMO. Commander Tyrol was what I needed when I got here. And Robin is what I need now. She still believes in me, and she’ll give me the opportunities to get better. I need to take them.

Ginger eyebrows were raised as Robin outlined her plan for Beka to call the floor.

OK. Those opportunities apparently start right now! Holy sh*t, I wasn’t expecting that…

"It's funny, you and me, we're not that experienced, and a lot of officers would still think we're just as green as the Middies and Ensigns we've got, but here we are. So we'll make it work, somehow," the purple-haired Lieutenant finished.

“I mean, how many times have we proved them wrong before?” Beka replied. “Your first mission was the MegaSphere. Mine was New Talax. Others have come and gone as everything just gets more and more intense but we’re still here. On this ship that really means something. They are not afraid to chop and change the medics. Hell, you’ve even managed to overcome the stigma of the last Augment through the doors going full cuckoo bananas. Never mind the rookies, I’m still in disbelief you managed that one.”

There was an almost reverent smile on the doctor’s lips as she spoke. Yes, Robin was her friend, and she would always fight her corner. But those achievements really were something truly special.

“And thank you for the elevation. If you’re still feeling generous, gold is much more my colour than black,” Beka joked, with an overly-furtive look at the pips on her collar and a suggestive fluttering of her eyelashes.

“In all seriousness, I really appreciate you going to bat for me,” she added, the mischief evaporating. “You’ve given me the chance here to prove I’ve learned from my mistakes. Now it’s on me to deliver. And I will.”

She chuckled to herself.

“I can’t promise it’ll be all smooth sailing. I’m still Beka Sydesh and that’s hard to hide. But I’ll give you everything I’ve got. This will work. I’m gonna make it work.”

She reached out and gently squeezed Robin’s hand in a gesture of appreciation.

“Thanks, you.”
“I mean, how many times have we proved them wrong before?” Beka replied. “Your first mission was the MegaSphere. Mine was New Talax. Others have come and gone as everything just gets more and more intense but we’re still here. On this ship that really means something. They are not afraid to chop and change the medics. Hell, you’ve even managed to overcome the stigma of the last Augment through the doors going full cuckoo bananas. Never mind the rookies, I’m still in disbelief you managed that one.”

Robin smiled appreciatively, but there was a trace of bitterness in her voice as she responded, not directed at Tyra Crawford but at Star Fleet. "Scuttlebutt says that the Captain wasn't happy with having another Augment assigned to her ship. She never showed it, even early, but Monroe and her accomplice killed quite a few good people, and Star Fleet basically dumped me on the Artemis. The thought was that if I went rogue I could be 'dealt with' by the Captain and First Officer who had experience killing Augments."

She sighed. "I mean, I'm as threatening as a church mouse, but they didn't trust me. I guess the fact that I didn't lie my way through the Academy counted for something. The Captain's been more than fair, though. I'd like to think I haven't given her reason to doubt me." Even as she said the words she remembered that she could be very dangerous, cold and ruthless, as she'd shown with the Breen on Utopia Planitia. The Augment had never really worried about it up until then, but she wasn't harmless when pushed. 

“And thank you for the elevation. If you’re still feeling generous, gold is much more my colour than black,” Beka joked, with an overly-furtive look at the pips on her collar and a suggestive fluttering of her eyelashes.

The purple-haired young woman laughed. If Beka could prove that she still had what it took to run the floor Robin already planned to have her promoted. The CMO was looking forward to it; it was her favorite part of the job. 

“In all seriousness, I really appreciate you going to bat for me,” she added, the mischief evaporating. “You’ve given me the chance here to prove I’ve learned from my mistakes. Now it’s on me to deliver. And I will. I can’t promise it’ll be all smooth sailing. I’m still Beka Sydesh and that’s hard to hide. But I’ll give you everything I’ve got. This will work. I’m gonna make it work. ” She reached out and gently squeezed Robin’s hand in a gesture of appreciation.

“Thanks, you.”

"You're welcome. And I'm not worried. 'Smooth sailing' isn't part of the Artemis journey anyway, and we all have our problems. You'll do just fine." She squeezed her friend's hand back. "And I'm counting on you being Beka Sydesh. Whatever seas we're sailing into I need people I can rely on, and I'm not just saying that as a friend, but also as your CMO. If the medical staff screws up people die, and whatever you think about what you've been through that's one thing you don't do in your job."

== Tag ==
Shortly after launch, Mayfair received the following text summons:

[Report to the transporter room for immediate transport to the USS Philadelphia for a mission briefing. Briefing starts in ten.]
"Anyway, I..."

"Lieutenant Mayfair?" a voice called out nervously from the nurse's station. It was one of her new staff, Midshipman Crelth, a young Saurian male who she hadn't had much chance to interact with. He seemed very timid, but then she wasn't one to talk considering how shy she'd been when she had first come on to the ship.

"Yes, Midshipman?" she responded in her best 'I don't bite' voice.

"There's an incoming text from the Bridge for you. Marked 'urgent.'"

"Thanks. I'll take it in my office." She shrugged to Beka. "Looks like it's showtime. I doubt I'll be able to fill you in and I'll probably have to head off to the briefing. If it's anything like the oh-so-secret Utopia Planitia mission I might not be back for a while, so keep things running while I'm gone, OK? Your status as Head Doctor has already been marked in the system, so if anyone gives you lip, well..." Her voice trailed off. Few people gave Beka lip twice, and she now had full authority to give 'em hell. She was the highest ranking doctor on the ship outside of the cardiologist Sonaalk, and he wanted nothing to do with any leadership position.

With a wave the nurse headed inside her office and input her access code.

[Report to the transporter room for immediate transport to the USS Philadelphia for a mission briefing. Briefing starts in ten.]

Wonderful. We aren't having it here? The Philly can't have more than a broom closet for a briefing room. And if I'm heading there then it means I'm assigned to the away team. At this point I know how these things go. Honestly, Östberg would probably be a better fit for any sort of dangerous mission, but he hasn't earned his second pip back yet.

She send an acknowledgement and opened a wall-mounted cabinet. Inside was her custom med kit. She'd spent quite a bit of time making sure it met her needs. An advanced, state-of-the-art medical tricorder (courtesy of a certain ship's quartermaster) set to feed the Augment information at her prodigious reading speed, extra medication for radiation and bleeding wounds, and a stack of blueberry nutrition bars to make sure the always-hungry young woman was fueled up. With her kit in hand she headed back out.

"Yeah, called it," she said to her redheaded friend as she quickly went over to the nearby Sickbay replicator. "Ham and cheese sandwich with mayo and mustard on whole wheat, wrapped for travel. Strawberry smoothie in a travel container. Coffee with vanilla creamer and sugar in a travel container." The device beeped as it produced each item. She put the vacuum container for the coffee into a web pouch on the outside of her kit. "Don't know if I'll be back any time soon, so I'm not taking chances. I'll send you a message if I need anything."

Specifically she was thinking of her custom combat armor; after the fight aboard the Talaxian station where she'd been forced to wear ill-fitting and uncomfortable armor the petite young woman had had a custom set made that fit her tiny frame. She wondered if she would need it; it was currently in her quarters. If she did she'd ask Sickbay to send someone down and retrieve it. Robin wasn't about to show up for a briefing looking like she was ready to storm the beaches of Normandy, even if the whole situation screamed 'we're going into combat.' And if she needed a phaser they'd provide one.

She waved again at Beka and headed out. The sandwich and smoothie would be gulped down before she got to the Transporter Room. As a nurse she was used to inhaling her food. The coffee would be saved for later, and the container would keep it warm for hours. Robin wasn't sure if she'd be coming back to the Artemis or if they were going into battle, but in either case coffee was practically a medication as far as she was concerned.

>> Transporter Room >>
== Minor Retcon, Robin will leave after Emily reports. My last post just happens a bit later. ==
>>Emily’s Dorm>>

Emily stepped through the doors of Sickbay and made sure to step to the side before taking in her first in-depth glance at the layout. The doors to Sickbay were busy and standing in them was a hazard.

Especially in this complex. It was so much bigger than she’d thought.

Emily walked over to a nursing station and inquired about the Chief. The staff, who had been in conversation, hesitated slightly before offering an answer and pointing to the Chief’s office. As she walked over, she could feel a few of their gazes lingering on her. Perhaps she should have introduced herself instead of just asking for the Chief. They were her peers after all.

Pressing the chimes to the Chief’s office she waited for an answer.

== Tag Mayfair==
"Come in," Robin said in her slight southern accent as her door chimed. There were still a couple of new arrivals who hadn't reported in, last-minute transfers and a new Midshipman. She wondered whether it was one of them or if it was another problem. Probably not something medical; she had a staff who could handle things, and when she'd gone back to her office to take the message no one had been wanting to see her. She hoped it wasn't a crisis (or what passed for a crisis, like this or that doctor wanting a shift change). The CMO had just gotten the order to report to the Transporter Room, and she absolutely didn't have time to deal with anything like that.

As the door slid open the purple-haired CMO saw a young woman in medical teal who she recognized from her personnel file, Midshipman Star. A new doctor fresh out of the Academy, one with an impressive record. Robin greeted her with a friendly smile and motioned her towards a chair in front of her desk. She'd just pulled her kit down from the cabinet and had given it an unnecessary look-through to make sure it was ready. "Have a seat, Doctor Star. Welcome to the Artemis. Glad you got aboard before we departed."

== Tag ==
She knows who I am?

Obviously, as Chief, she would have received a document with the list of transfers, but the warm welcome offered, even calling Emily by name wasn’t what had been expecting. She’d been fully prepared to introduce herself to a Chief who had no clue who she was.

“I..yes,” Emily was caught off guard, “Thank you, Chief.” She took the offered seat, “Everything lined up well for the trip. I had been told originally I might just miss you.”

Eying the kit she inquired, “Restocking after use or prepping for use?”

==tag==
"You almost did," Robin said warmly. "I have a briefing on the Philly in a few minutes. I'd been hoping to give you and the other new arrivals the nickel tour, but it looks like it'll have to wait."

“Restocking after use or prepping for use?”

"Prepping. I don't know what we're being sent into, but I want to be ready." She closed the kit. "Not sure if anyone's told you, but this ship tends to draw the short straw, if you understand my meaning. We get sent on the serious missions, and Star Fleet has us doing something that's dangerous enough that we've offloaded family members and civilians."

The nurse considered for a moment. She wasn't some naturally-intimidating senior officer like Tyra Crawford or Jenny Braggins, and she didn't want to ever come across like one even if she could pull it off. By the same token she needed to know what her staff was capable of if there was a crisis, and one was looming. She'd seen some frankly bizarre behavior out of recent graduates (such as the unlamented now-former Midshipman Alken), and while she had no reason whatsoever to believe Star was anything but a top-flight doctor she wanted to make sure. Besides, it was an Artemis tradition to throw new officers into the deep end to see if they could swim. Robin's own trial by fire had been almost literal, the battle against the Borg Megasphere, and she wouldn't have wished that on anyone. A briefing might be just what was needed, not dangerous but serious. Robin needed people she could put in leadership positions, and she hoped Emily Star would be one of those people.

"Tell you what, Doctor... why don't you join me? Pull a medkit just in case and report to the Transporter Room. I'll save you a seat. I want my staff to gain experience not just as medics but also as officers. And if there's time I can introduce you to the rest of the senior staff." She grabbed her kit and walked up to the door. "I'll meet you there."

She figured she'd probably just thrown the new Midshipman for a loop, but that was part of the business here. She had to be ready for anything.

== Heading to the Philly after Robin grabs her food ==
“I’ll meet you there”

And then she was gone out the door. Just like that, Emily was alone in the Chief’s office.  Time moved slowly for the next moments that passed as she processed the conversation.

I’m going with the Chief.

I…am… going… with… the.. Chief.

I am going with the Chief!!

As if her system had just rebooted and kicked in, Emily shot up out of the chair and turned to the door.  She needed to grab a kit, check it and get to the transporter room. However, before she placed her hands on Artemis medical equipment, Emily was going to introduce herself to the highest ranking staff member - just so they knew she was allowed to be touching things.

>> Transporter Room>>
[Mayfair to Artemis Sickbay. We're beaming back and we don't have a lot of time before we have to leave again. Prepare six Type-C neurozine canisters, and get an engineer to make sure that they'll work with Luna class environmental systems. Pull gas masks for Ensign Starr and I and check them.]
<< USS Philadelphia <<

Robin entered Sickbay at a quick walk, not wanting to run but not wanting to waste a moment she didn't have to. An Andorian engineer, PO Seorel, was already at work adjusting the fittings on a half-dozen .3 meter neurozine canisters, and as she walked in he stopped her. "I'm just about done, Lieutenant. These will work pretty well for you. A Luna is similar to an Intrepid-class in the life support systems, and I know those well. I've attached a regulator so that your team can control the output from each canister individually. They can even be operated via Tricorder."

Robin smiled at him. "Thanks much. Would you have them sent over to the Philly as soon as they're ready?"

God bless the Artemis engineers; they were always thinking three steps ahead. Neurozine was powerful stuff, and too high a concentration could do real harm... up to and including death. While this was going to be a dangerous mission, they were trying to avoid a war, and killing the Cardassians aboard the Callisto would be a bad idea unless there was no choice. And if there were any Federation prisoners aboard (something that was definitely a possibility, since the Cardassians were trying to figure out the Slipstream) she didn't want that on her conscious either. Best case scenario was that they could steal the Callisto, and any Cardassians aboard would be prisoners for the Federation to deal with.

Funny how we're concerned with not starting a war after what the Cardassians have done. Seems to me like they started the war already. Guess I'd make a lousy diplomat.

The CMO headed over to the replicator. "One black tactical jumpsuit, my size." The nurse resisted rolling her eyes as the machine beeped.

Oh yeah, that'll fool the Cardies. They couldn't possibly believe that this mission was ordered by Star Fleet if we wear these.

One thing Robin absolutely hated was 'going through the motions.' And that was all this was, she felt. Star Fleet would pretend that they'd gone rogue if they were captured. The Cardassians wouldn't believe it for a second. The public wouldn't believe it for a second. Federation diplomats would mouth words they didn't believe. And even if she and the team escaped their careers would be over. Depending on how eager the brass was to push the lie they could even end up imprisoned for following direct orders. And that assumed they'd survive, a big 'if.'

She'd do her duty, but the thought that her parents might end up being told that their daughter was a criminal sickened her. Especially if she died and couldn't explain to them. Her father pretty much hated the Federation for its willingness to let her die as a child; if she died on this mission she almost felt sorry for any poor officer they sent to inform her parents.

She grabbed the black outfit, and would change in the locker room near the transporter. The less of her team who saw her dressed like some sort of commando the better. Afterwards she went to the supply locker and took three standard gas masks. One for her, one for Midshipman Star, and a spare. Robin was a firm believer in the 'two is one and one is none' line of thinking. A spare might come in handy. She also loaded up on several medications, including Tri-ox and selkazine-B, a stimulant that helped to neutralize neurozine... so long as the exposure wasn't too high.

She went back in to Triage, heading straight for Beka. "Hey," she said, not even trying to force a smile. "I'm heading back to the Philly. I can't tell you details, but this looks like a bad one. If anything happens to me then Sickbay is yours." She swallowed. Robin was a bad liar, and didn't try to conceal how nervous she was. "But I'm going to do everything I can to get back alive and keep everyone else alive too."

She still needed to talk with Midshipman Star before they headed back.

== Tags ==
Emily had followed Mayfair back to the ship but had parted ways once aboard. The vibe from the room had been strong and she needed something to break the hold that it left on her skin. She was used to tense scenarios with her family, friends and peers but she'd never felt a room full of people digesting the possibility of a no-win scenario. It lingered. 

The stop in her quarters had been brief. She'd washed her face and pulled her hair into a loose ponytail at the base of her neck. Heading to her dresser she'd pulled out a small clip her father had gifted her when she was eleven. With a quick snap, it had been fastened to her bra strap. It wouldn't be seen, that was the point of it. On the unassuming underside were two gems that were continually warm against the skin; a reminder that she was capable of feeling without showing it. A gift that made sense to a Vulcan. Emily smiled and touched it gently, then she left and practically ran to the Medical Complex.

Once entering, she'd looked for Mayfair and found her. As she approached, she heard her speaking. 

She went back in to Triage, heading straight for Beka. "Hey," she said, not even trying to force a smile. "I'm heading back to the Philly. I can't tell you details, but this looks like a bad one. If anything happens to me then Sickbay is yours." She swallowed. Robin was a bad liar, and didn't try to conceal how nervous she was. "But I'm going to do everything I can to get back alive and keep everyone else alive too."

"That's the preferred outcome," Emily said as she made her presence known, "I'd like my first posting to last at least a year." 

== tag mayfair==
"That's the preferred outcome," Emily said as she made her presence known, "I'd like my first posting to last at least a year."

"That'd be my preference too." Robin went into CMO mode for a moment. "Oh, Doctor Sydesh, this is Doctor Star, newly arrived fresh from Star Fleet Academy, and about to join me on this insanely risky mission." Robin wasn't thrilled at taking a new medic into a potentially dangerous situation, but Beka was still on the mend. Östberg was more experienced, as she'd pointed out to the Captain, but the more she thought about it the more she believed that he needed to stay on the Artemis. His combat skills would have been useful on the mission, true, but he was one of exactly three experienced doctors on the ship, and each one was necessary to keep Sickbay running if the mission went bad or if the Artemis got into a fight. While Emily was new, so was the vast majority of her staff. She had a limited pool to draw from.

The CMO indicated the tattooed, fiery redhead. "Midshipman, this is Lieutenant Beka Sydesh, head doctor and my henchwoman." She sighed. "Sorry to cut the intro short, but we're on the clock. Midshipman, can I have a word with you?" Robin indicated a corner of the large Triage room.

"Look, I'm sorry for dragging you into this. There's every chance the Captain won't approve another warm body, so if you end up on Team Bravo I want to pass on some advice that was given to me at the Academy. Remember ABC... 'Always Be in Cover.' Your job as a medic isn't to trade phaser shots with the enemy, it's to keep the other team members alive. If there's gunplay, your only thought should be to get behind something solid. The ones who stand out in the open become casualties. The phaser you'll have is a last resort, but if you need to shoot then don't hesitate. Also, make sure you keep a solid awareness of your surroundings. Cover doesn't just apply to yourself, you'll need it to treat any patients, so keep your eyes always open for a spot you can drag someone away from the line of fire if they're injured."

She smiled warmly. "I wouldn't say I'm a veteran, but I do have some experience with these things under my belt now. Follow orders and keep your head down. And though this mission is a tough one, especially fresh out of the Academy, you're with the crew that has the best chance in the Fleet of succeeding... and surviving. Believe it or not we've pulled off stuff like this before."

Though not without casualties and immense personal trauma.

Robin realized she probably sounded a little silly giving advice. She was small and looked significantly younger than the Midshipman. Without the Lieutenant pips on her uniform she could be mistaken for a cadet. Still, it was her responsibility to try and keep the brash new officer alive on this ridiculous mission, and she intended to do her best. She handed Emily a gas mask. "We'll pull Type-2 phasers on the way back. Set for Heavy Stun unless the team leader says otherwise. Do you have any questions?"

== Tags ==
Emily looked down at the gas mask in hand and then back to Mayfair. For someone small, her words were wise and intuitive. It was everything that Emily needed to hear before they left. A perfect, short speech that stripped away the glamour of danger and instilled the reality of what medical needed to be; a lifesaving aid and an invisible companion. 

"No," Emily said, looking down at the mask she organized her words, "But I do have something to add. As you said, I'm with the best crew that has the highest chance of surviving this. I want you to know that I wasn't boasting or overly self-assured when the Captain asked if I was capable. I was raised by a Vulcan father who wanted me trained in Suus Mahna and a human adoptive father whose a peace officer. I'm quite comfortable with weaponry and hand-to-hand combat. As I said, I chose not to go into Security but to clarify, it was heavily because I value saving lives more than taking them." 

Emily didn't want to waste words as their time was short, "I just wanted to let you know who you're going into danger with. You can count on the fact I'll heed those who know more and follow their lead. I am not one to take risks unless I know I can come out on top." She offered a smile, "Shall we go get our weapons?" 

==tag==
Emily didn't have any questions "But I do have something to add. As you said, I'm with the best crew that has the highest chance of surviving this. I want you to know that I wasn't boasting or overly self-assured when the Captain asked if I was capable. I was raised by a Vulcan father who wanted me trained in Suus Mahna and a human adoptive father whose a peace officer. I'm quite comfortable with weaponry and hand-to-hand combat. As I said, I chose not to go into Security but to clarify, it was heavily because I value saving lives more than taking them."

Robin nodded. "I understand, and I hope you don't need to rely on those skills during this mission."

"I just wanted to let you know who you're going into danger with. You can count on the fact I'll heed those who know more and follow their lead. I am not one to take risks unless I know I can come out on top. Shall we go get our weapons?"

"OK. I just want you to make sure not to take any chances. Your primary duty is to your fellows, though missions almost never go as planned. If we get through this I might have you serve as a liaison with Security. Lord knows a lot of them need more first aid training."

Her PADD beeped, and there was a message from the Security Office. "Speak of the devils..."

[Weapons and armor are ready and will be brought to the Philadelphia. Your custom set will be waiting for you there.]

"Looks like that saved us a trip. Our weapons and armor will be waiting for us on the Philly. Are you familiar with combat armor? It looks like we'll be wearing it for this mission."

Robin had found that Academy training in that regard had been lacking. On the Kazon station the elfin young woman had found herself stuffed into an ill-fitting suit too large for her, despite the "one-size-fits-most" claim of Star Fleet. Commander Coleman had managed to get her set so at least the suit wasn't causing pain and hindering her movements too much, but it had been an uncomfortable few hours. When Robin had returned to the Artemis she'd had a custom (smaller) set crafted that fit her well and allowed the Augment full freedom of movement.

== Tag ==
"Looks like that saved us a trip. Our weapons and armor will be waiting for us on the Philly. Are you familiar with combat armor? It looks like we'll be wearing it for this mission."

As much as Emily was comfortable with her ability to hold her own, she wasn't a security officer and wasn't a trained combat ...anything. So her knowledge of armour was limited. Vague memories, hazy with time, of lectures and conversations were pulled forward as she tried to recall anything useful. 

"No, "Emily shook her head, "Not much experience with it at all. I welcome any advice or aid you have."  Her brow furrowed in confusion, "My measurements are in the system, so it shouldn't be too bad. Right?" 

==tag==
"No, "Emily shook her head, "Not much experience with it at all. I welcome any advice or aid you have." Her brow furrowed in confusion, "My measurements are in the system, so it shouldn't be too bad. Right?"

"Shouldn't be," the purple-haired Lieutenant replied. "Unlike me you're within normal height range for Security, so the standard gear should fit you OK. 'One-size-fits-most' is the claim. They'll get you strapped in when the time comes. It's bulky and annoying, but I doubt it'll hinder you. And trust me, I've seen it save lives, even though it's not a guarantee. Direct hits will still get through. We'll have to wear the helmets too, but those aren't too bad."

The Engineer was sending the canisters off, so Robin took it as her cue. "All right, looks like we're ready. You've got a few minutes to grab anything else you need, and we can always have the Philly crew replicate anything else. We'll head over as soon as you're ready."

>> USS Philadelphia >>
== Bit of a catch-up to do! I thought I’d subscribed to this thread. I had not. I missed all of the posts… Sorry! ==

With Robin away, Beka had tried to keep herself busy. Inevitably her mind kept coming back to what had dragged away the senior staff to a briefing on board the Philadelphia - few departments collected rumour as effectively as Medical did, and all the redhead had to do was listen to know who had gone and where.

I still hate the rumour mill. Hate it. But if I’m stuck with it I might as well use it.

When the message came back about gas canisters, Beka had called for some engineering back-up and detailed Ensign Marini to fill them up. That had only reinforced the feeling that had nestled at the back of her mind that something particularly nasty was going on.

With little else to occupy her, the emergency specialist busied herself in making sure the on-call medics had been alerted and they were prepared should things end up in a major incident.

When Robin appeared at a fast walk, she was wearing a black tactical jumpsuit. A ginger eyebrow was raised at the change of wardrobe.

"Hey, I'm heading back to the Philly,” Robin said, everything about her all business. “I can't tell you details, but this looks like a bad one. If anything happens to me then Sickbay is yours." She swallowed. Robin was a bad liar, and didn't try to conceal how nervous she was. "But I'm going to do everything I can to get back alive and keep everyone else alive too."

“You better get your arse back here. Nobody on this ship is ready for the idea of CMO Sydesh, least of all me.” Beka tried a joke, but it fell flat as her heart wasn’t in it.

A female Midshipman appeared, and Robin was quick to introduce Emily Star before taking them both away to a corner. Beka mentally shrugged at this and took up station nearby to review readiness reports. She didn’t have her purple-haired partner in crime’s hearing, but she was able to pick up the gist of the conversation. Including the newcomer’s speech about being able to fight, something that resonated loud and clear with the redhead.

I made that mistake too. Thinking I was a match for the Security officers in combat. F*ck did that end badly for me.

She stretched awkwardly, her back sending a shiver through her body. Sydesh was healing from her injury but she was still a shadow of her former shadow physically.

As Robin headed for the door, Beka seized her chance and approached Emily.

“Midshipman… Star, wasn’t it?” the redhead said. “I couldn’t help but overhear. Mostly because I was listening, but hey.” She shrugged, a grin appearing on her lips and then vanishing again.

“Let me give you a warning, one fighting medic to another,” she added calmly. “I have a black belt in taekwon-do. If you’re not familiar with that, it basically means I can kick someone’s teeth out the back of their head. I used to think that meant I could hold my own in a fight. And whilst I was right in that, there is a big difference between a fight, and actual live combat. A fight is a controlled environment. One on one, usually on a mat or else split off somewhere relatively calm. Combat is a chaotic mess of weapons fire, screaming, orders being shouted down comm channels and your friends hitting the deck and not getting back up. It is completely different to anything else you’ve ever experienced. And trust me. You’re not prepared for that. I thought I was. And… well.”

Beka half turned and lifted up the back of her tunic. The synaptic enhancer sat clamped to the small of her back, indicators on the surface of the device flashing as it transmitted neural signals through the horrible spinal injury she’d suffered on board Graiark Orbital.

“That little box of the tricks is the only reason I’m walking. And Lieutenant Calleja is the only reason I’m still alive,” the redhead said, readjusting her tunic again. “Listen to the Security officers. They’ve done all this before. They know your capabilities better than you do. That Calleja is a stone-cold bitch but if she or Miller or even the Captain tell you to get out of the way, then do it. Remember your job. You’re a healer, not a front-line fighter. Let them do the fighting.”

Beka winced as another tremor ran up and down her ravaged spine.

“End lecture,” the redhead said, not unkindly. “Just please, take care of yourself. And definitely take care of Robin. Bring both of you back in one piece.”

== Tag Mid Star! If you want to head straight off to the Philly after answering, no worries, please feel free to go.  Smile ==
== No worries! Happy to have you in the thread==

"Shouldn't be," the purple-haired Lieutenant replied. "Unlike me you're within normal height range for Security, so the standard gear should fit you OK. 'One-size-fits-most' is the claim. They'll get you strapped in when the time comes. It's bulky and annoying, but I doubt it'll hinder you. And trust me, I've seen it save lives, even though it's not a guarantee. Direct hits will still get through. We'll have to wear the helmets too, but those aren't too bad."

The Engineer was sending the canisters off, so Robin took it as her cue. "All right, looks like we're ready. You've got a few minutes to grab anything else you need, and we can always have the Philly crew replicate anything else. We'll head over as soon as you're ready."

Emily nodded, "You got it, Ma'am." She watched as Mayfair left. Combat armor. Cannisters. Cardassians. A smirk formed. She looked about the medical area, curious if there was anything she could add that would be considered useful. The CMO had probably thought of everything and they had such limited space. 

“Midshipman… Star, wasn’t it?” the redhead said. “I couldn’t help but overhear. Mostly because I was listening, but hey.” She shrugged, a grin appearing on her lips and then vanishing again.

Emily moved her attention to Beka and offered a nod as a greeting. What followed was a duplicate conversation to the reminder that her CMO had just offered, but more intense and personal. This wasn't a 'what if' scenario about a medic in harms way. No, this was a medic who had been harmed, permanently. 

“End lecture,” the redhead said, not unkindly. “Just please, take care of yourself. And definitely take care of Robin. Bring both of you back in one piece.”

Once again Emily was put in her place and she felt a small, very small, tingle of annoyance. Not at Beka, but at herself. Obviously she was wording her intentions incorrectly. She'd never meant to make it sound as if she was even close to the same level as security. That would have been ridiculous. What Emily had meant to convey was that was she was smart and, in her opinion, capable. It was obviously wise to avoid fighting and to let those with proper training take over. However her job was to keep them alive, if that meant firing her phaser than she was up for it. 

“I'll do everything I can to make sure we both get back,” Emily said. That was the most she could say, as she had no clue what they were in for, “And you’re right.  Any experience I have in fighting, is moot. So I thank you for the reminder.”

They were short on time but Emily had a small burning question for Beka, “If I can ask, why does it still hurt?” Emily's eyes moving to where Beka had shown her. Surely they should be able to nullify any residual pain. What kind of a repair job had they done?

==tag Sydesh==
“I'll do everything I can to make sure we both get back,” Emily said. That was the most she could say, as she had no clue what they were in for, “And you’re right.  Any experience I have in fighting, is moot. So I thank you for the reminder.”

“Good. That’s all I can ask,” Beka replied. “And I didn’t say, it’s all moot. Chances are you’ll end up fighting anyway. It’s Artemis. That’s how it goes for us. Just… If you get tempted to go flying in thinking you’ll save the day, be really sure you’re not about to make things worse. Another word of advice I can give though. The Captain tends to think that anything she didn’t tell you to do is getting in the way. I learned that one the hard way as well.”

The redhead was grinning now at least. Some of her early mistakes were still being told to newly assigned crewmen as what not to do, and she’d at least had the common sense to own them instead of getting defensive.

“If I can ask, why does it still hurt?” Emily asked.

“Short answer? Because I really, really f*cked it up,” Beka replied. “I fell two decks onto a guardrail, and I landed spine first across it.”

She demonstrated by holding her left hand out sideways, and then hitting the back of her right hand across it, knuckles down the fingers.

“First batch of surgeries took nearly 16 hours. I need another round back at Starbase Alpha to get it all straightened out again now that things have healed up enough. It’s weird, I wouldn’t say it hurts. But I get… I don’t really know how to explain it. Ghost twinges? Feelings that are just weird and a bit disconcerting? I think it’s the enhancer boosting the signals I’m not supposed to feel sometimes.”

== Back atcha! ==
“First batch of surgeries took nearly 16 hours. I need another round back at Starbase Alpha to get it all straightened out again now that things have healed up enough. It’s weird, I wouldn’t say it hurts. But I get… I don’t really know how to explain it. Ghost twinges? Feelings that are just weird and a bit disconcerting? I think it’s the enhancer boosting the signals I’m not supposed to feel sometimes.”

"I've heard of such things, but mostly with missing limbs. When I get back do you mind if I look over you file? I'd love to learn more.I've never seen a repair like that outside of a textbook," Emily added quickly, "Without being invasive, of course. I'm sure you're sick of dealing with it as is." 

Emily was sure that Beka had her fair share of curiosity directed at the accident and the repair that had occured. However, even after such a brief meeting, she felt it safe to assume that if someone pushed a boundary or asked an invasive question, this Doctor wouldn't have an issue telling them to back off. Time was ticking though, so anything other than the request to learn more would have to wait. She didn't want to be the last one to arrive. 

"I'm going to run, but I hope to work a shift with you soon." Emily offered an awkward wave, never really sure how to exit a conversation. Turning towards the door she sighed and made a note to change into her jumpsuit before. 

>> USS Philadelphia>>
"I've heard of such things, but mostly with missing limbs. When I get back do you mind if I look over you file? I'd love to learn more.I've never seen a repair like that outside of a textbook," Emily added quickly, "Without being invasive, of course. I'm sure you're sick of dealing with it as is."

“I mean, sure, once it’s actually repaired,” Beka replied with a disarming grin.

"I'm going to run, but I hope to work a shift with you soon." The Midshipman seemed to realise she had somewhere to be, and she made her exit with a wave that the redheaded doctor found amusing.

I mean, it isn’t the worst first contact ever made with a new recruit. I’ve had worse. Been worse too.

Sydesh turned. The Medical Complex suddenly felt a whole lot more empty than usual, and now it was apparently hers.

That age old emergency specialist dilemma she thought, starting towards the duty station. The more bored I am, the better the rest of the crew must be doing.

With little else to do, she went to see if there were any consultations or electives that might need her help. Whether the medic involved wanted it or not.

== She’s here if needed, but I won’t be chasing up for work. Big Grin ==