DS9/HR0 - Habitat Ring
==
>> Docking Ring >>

In the hour or so they had been in their new quarters, Black had told the story to Papaver of what had happened after the Philadelphia had left DS9 on their joint mission along with the Artemis.

The young science officer nodded at the appropriate parts, and offered warming cups of tea in return as Maz finally let go of what had transpired, and why she along with the rest of the crew that hadn't already been transferred were effectively restricted to the station and the local planet until someone made the decision what to do with them.

She knew that Captain Braggins and Commander Jensen were both being held accountable for all their actions, and high level meetings were taking place somewhere. And she was fully expecting security to come for her next. There would be no second chances this time.

“Well.” Began Papaver after a brief pondering. “I think you did the right thing, frankly. We all do stuff we're not proud of. But I think you did what you thought was right at the time, and of any tribunal says otherwise. I'll still come and visit you.”

“You're not helping.” Said Maz with a smile now as she cradled her teacup. “But, thank you.”

“And you've certainly cheered up some. So,” Papaver turned and picked up a PADD from behind her. “I took the liberty of thinking up ways to  cheer you up more. So I booked you a little pampering session with a makeover on the side down on the promenade.”

“”No!” Said Maz putting down her cup. “Absolutely not. No.”

Papaver grinned, “I knew you'd say that, but I figured could have just put a sedative in your tea and gone to work with a pack of magic markers myself.”

Maz cautiously eyed the tea. “You didn't? Did you?”

Papaver grinned. “I was tempted. But no.” She glanced at the clock. “Appointments in... Twenty minutes. I promise, you'll feel a lot better, and if you don't? I will dye my hair bright pink.”

Maz pondered for moment. “Well, I don't have much else to look forward to. I guess I should try to look my best when they come to take me away.”

“There you go. Positive thinking,”

>> Promenade >>
<<previous post<<

R'Kaar had chosen to walk from the Philadelphia instead of beaming over. There was some comfort in being able to walk, as it let one have time to think. For R'Kaar, it was to track down the newest feline member of the Philadelphia. However, finding a particular officer on the station was as easy as asking the computer. However, a Caitian would take the challenge of finding Ktan by leading them to the hunter.

One Benzite had died on the voyage, killed by a Cardassian captor. Which meant R'Kaar headed for the habitat ring's musical section to compose a song for the fallen officer. A piano, some places for musical instruments, and some benches for listening were present. Feline hearing was especially acute, capable of hearing overtones and harmonics most other humanoids couldn't detect. R'Kaar sat down at the piano bench, and began a mournful melody, comprised of lower notes, capable of resonance. But to a feline, there were multiple layers of harmony, and pieces of the Heroes Tongue woven into the melody. To a Kzin or a Caitian, the tones were a call for children of the Great Hunter to chase away the distractions of the afterlife, and to guide them to their final rest. For most, the time incorporated some Benzite funeral music into the tune, but R'Kaar kept composing away, hoping his quarry would hear the hidden tune meant for them.

==Tag Ktan Shadowhunt==
Ktan spent an hour or two settling into his new quarters, where he'd stay until Starfleet figured out what to do with him after his misadventure on the Philadelphia. The Bajoran merchant who owned the small apartment had gone back to Bajor for an extended mercantile tour, and would gone for weeks, if not months. That meant for the time being, Ktan had the run of the place - not that there was much running to be done. Ktan could only make so much of a mess with only a single duffle bag's worth of belongings.

A problem I plan to rectify right now, he thought.

He got on the comms and reconnected with the quartermaster over at Outpost Gamma-7, who assured him again that he'd arrange to have Ktan's belongings sent to DS9 on the next available cargo vessel. When exactly that would be, he couldn't say. Ktan could only growl under his breath and disconnect the call.

Not wanting to venture out into the station proper in a fowl mood, Ktan instead settled into some quiet meditation and prayer. The Bajoran had a little reliquary to the Prophets on display in a corner, and it was there that Ktan set himself up, first offering a reading from a traditional Bajoran prayer designed for respectful non-adherents, a chance to parley with the Prophets and ask their permittance to pray to one's own gods. From there, he settled into a series of Rememberer recitations, wishing for redemption for the Kzinti people, the restoration of their females, and a return to the ways of old - free from the arrogance and aggression that plagued Kzin today.

Even as these prayers were ongoing, Ktan thought he heard a response.

A tune. . . a tune of mourning, a mixture of the Hero's Tongue and a complex, mournful melody that seemed to draw on other musical traditions he was not familiar with. Was this the Prophets reaching out to him in a language he might understand? Was he, like many men and women stationed close the wormhole had before him, about to have an encounter with these non-linear entities?

No, Ktan realized. The sound is coming from outside.

Venturing out into the hallway, the music became more clear, coming from somewhere else in the Habitat Ring. He followed the resonating harmonies, each more soulful than the last, down a long corridor until coming up another feline Starfleet officer, a medical lieutenant he recognized from the Philadelphia, sitting at a piano.

Ktan eyed the man warily. Here was an officer who had sworn not only to uphold the values of Starfleet, but also to "do no harm," as was expected from Federation doctors, and he had joined Captain Braggins' little rebellion. He had risked war with the Cardassians and the safety and wellbeing of the hostages, their own crew, and even the citizens on this station to follow a wayward captain's impetuousness. Could Ktan not escape this mutinous rabble?

He wanted to slink off back to his quarters, but the music had - perhaps as the man had intended - ensnared him. He lingered too long, and gave the officer a chance to speak to him.

== Tag R'Kaar ==
R'Kaar continued to play as the Kzin approached, but as he finished, he tapped a datapad and said, "Send recording to recipient." And then looked at Ktan from where he was,

"Midshipman Shadowhunt. I knew our common language would bring us together, for are we not all descended from the same ancestors? I wanted to tell you, that because of your quick thinking, Ichika will make a full recovery at Star Base Alpha. She might be confined to a desk for a year or two while her injuries finish healing, but she's alive."

As R'Kaar looked at Ktan, it would become obvious that the Caitian's eyes were artificial despite the attempts to make them look natural.

"I also wanted you to know, that I will not be joining you on our next mission. Because I sided with Captain Braggins when Commander Jensen mutinied the first time, and did not follow Captain Braggins to the Yeager, Star Fleet has assigned me to assist them with understanding the Kzinti breeding crisis. I only found out about that a few hours ago, but I believe that as a Kzin who served with me, you should be the first to know that I will be doing my best to make sure that the Kzinti within the Federation will not die out due to the genetic engineering that defines their culture."

R'Kaar wondered if Ktan would be staying onboard the Philadelphia, but he was also concerned with his well-being. R'Kaar had a soft spot for his fellow felines.

==tag Ktan==
== Apologies for the delay, I've been under the weather. ==

As the music ended, Ktan thought that perhaps it was best to slip away and head for the promenade. The song had been beautiful, a wholesome reminder of a home to which he may never return, but now the spell was broken. He knew he needed to leave before. . .

"Midshipman Shadowhunt," the Philadelphia officer said. "I knew our common language would bring us together, for are we not all descended from the same ancestors? I wanted to tell you, that because of your quick thinking, Ichika will make a full recovery at Star Base Alpha. She might be confined to a desk for a year or two while her injuries finish healing, but she's alive."

"Th- thank you," Ktan said, before offering a short bow customary to the Rememberers. The thought that Ichika would live - whatever her involvement in Braggins' indiscretion - was welcome news.

Ktan considering his fellow feline for a moment - a medical officer, a man who very likely made saving lives his top priority. Could HE be blamed, too, for the mutiny? Could he not have simply chosen to remain at his post to save all he could? Did Ktan need to bear him ill will, as he did the majority of the Philadelphia's crew?

"I also wanted you to know," the man continued, and in a brief pause, Ktan finally noticed that the doctor had artificial eyes - not that there was time to ponder the how and why. "That I will not be joining you on our next mission. Because I sided with Captain Braggins when Commander Jensen mutinied the first time, and did not follow Captain Braggins to the Yeager."

Yes. . . the news had begun trickling in that Braggins "punishment" was command of yet another starship, though the assignment itself was far from glorious. Ktan didn't know what political wranglings had happened to let her off that easy, but his part in her story was over and done with. He doubted he would have to interact with the captain again.

Wait. . . Ktan's ears finally caught up to his brain. Did he say he would not be joining ME on the Yeager?

"Star Fleet has assigned me," the doctor continued without immediately noticing Ktan's sudden panic, "to assist them with understanding the Kzinti breeding crisis. I only found out about that a few hours ago, but I believe that as a Kzin who served with me, you should be the first to know that I will be doing my best to make sure that the Kzinti within the Federation will not die out due to the genetic engineering that defines their culture."

"Yes. . . thank you. . ." Ktan muttered, trying to gather himself. It was entirely possible that the doctor had simply mispoken. "But let us also hope that those who live under the Patriarchy might also be saved. A people are not their government."

And a crew is not its captain. . .

Ktan couldn't help but wear his current confusion on his face.

"I'm sorry," he said, "I have had a lot on my mind. Could you indulge me for only a moment? I want to better understand the actions of the Philadelphia's crew during the recent mission. Can you tell me WHY you chose to follow Captain Braggins' over Commander Jensen, and how you all were so easily able to come together again after so much. . . betrayal?"
"But let us also hope that those who live under the Patriarchy might also be saved. A people are not their government."

R'Kaar's ears went to the side for a few moments as he considered his reply,

"I....don't think that's possible right now. Given this is a cultural crisis as well as a reproductive crisis, our solution could be considered by the Federation, to be a violation of the Prime Directive if we were to share it with the Patriarchy. But, the former First Officer of the Callisto is a Kzinti, and his Federation colony of Kzin will likely disseminate the cure to the Patriarchy, but we can't directly work with them because of politics and the Prime Directive."

He listed to Ktan continue with, "I have had a lot on my mind. Could you indulge me for only a moment? I want to better understand the actions of the Philadelphia's crew during the recent mission. Can you tell me WHY you chose to follow Captain Braggins' over Commander Jensen, and how you all were so easily able to come together again after so much. . . betrayal?"

"Simple. Captain Braggins never committed a crime. She asked us a hypothetical, that would we follow her if she disobeyed orders that were morally wrong. I weighed the situation, and sided with her, because there was another component to the situation. Not siding with her, would create a state where the Cardassians would have a powerful first strike weapon, that could cause large amounts of civilian casualties. It was a choice between two wars, and I chose the chance of a less devastating war. And Commander Jensen actually thought she was disobeying orders, and mutinied against her. However, I was not part of her theft of the Yeager, and I stayed aboard the Philadelphia with Commander Jensen to retrieve the Yeager."

He got off of the piano bench, and smiled at Ktan as he replied.
The doctor took a few moments to process Ktan's words, answering his comments concerning the fate of Kzin first.

"I. . . don't think that's possible right now," he said.

Ktan gritted his teeth, the sliver of hope he had at finding reason from one of Braggins' officers fading.

"Given this is a cultural crisis as well as a reproductive crisis, our solution could be considered by the Federation to be a violation of the Prime Directive if we were to share it with the Patriarchy. But, the former First Officer of the Callisto is a Kzinti, and his Federation colony of Kzin will likely disseminate the cure to the Patriarchy, but we can't directly work with them because of politics and the Prime Directive."

Ktan wanted to argue that offering a nation on equal technological footing a medical advance was hardly a violation. It happened all the time, especially with the Federation. The doctor was right that the Patriarchy may not accept help if it were offered, their pride in their genetic superiority too strong, but the simple act of offering treatments that could prevent a self-inflicted genocide. . . no, General Order 1 did not apply.

Before Ktan could fully formulate a response, the doctor responded to his question concerning the decision to follow Braggins.

"Simple," he said. "Captain Braggins never committed a crime. She asked us a hypothetical, that would we follow her if she disobeyed orders that were morally wrong. I weighed the situation, and sided with her, because there was another component to the situation. Not siding with her would create a state where the Cardassians would have a powerful first strike weapon that could cause large amounts of civilian casualties. It was a choice between two wars, and I chose the chance of a less devastating war. And Commander Jensen actually thought she was disobeying orders, and mutinied against her. However, I was not part of her theft of the Yeager, and I stayed aboard the Philadelphia with Commander Jensen to retrieve the Yeager."

As he finished, the doctor offer a disarming smile, but one that Ktan did not reciprocate. There was no helping these people.

"Starfleet doesn't send attack groups in pursuit of ships who are following orders," he said. "And captains who are following the law don't pass out phasers to their bridge crew to fight them off. Now I think I've had just about enough of this and any other conversation with you Philadelphians."

Ktan let a small growl escape his mouth at his final words, then turned and marched off towards the promenade. He needed a stiff drink and about as much space as the station could offer to be apart from every member of Braggins' ilk.

== Apologies for Ktan, he's still got a lot to process. Transitioning fully over the Yeager timeline now. ==