TI/D08-09 - Science Labs
--
Noxi entered the Lab. 

"Hello. I am Dr. Nairut Noxi. What is needed here?" She asked.
>> From the bridge >>

"Deck Eight." Said the first officer as the turbolift started to move.

"Commander," Ra'an said. "I know I'm not privy to all the experiments being run in the labs, but I'm definitely not aware of any so volatile that an explosion would rattle the entire ship."

"Me neither." Answered Morad. "I'd ask Samik but she off the ship during the shore leave, along with most of the crew..."

As they arrived at their destination the lift door opened and they walked into the hallway leading to science lab 13. Some of the lights in the area were flickering, but other than that there was no signs of damage. Due to the majority of the crew being off the ship, the deck was empty. 

That's a little creepy... but less people around also means less chance of anyone being hurt.

A second turblift arrived at the other side of the hallway and as the doors opened it revealed a medical officer.

"Hello. I am Dr. Nairut Noxi. What is needed here?" She asked.

Oh yes, she is new to the ship...

"Nice to meet you Doctor Noxi." Ameen said. "I'm Morad Ameen, the FO, and this Ra'an from Science and Delta s'Tar from Security. Welcome to the Titania."

He paused briefly to allow for the customary introductions and other pleasantries to be made.

"There has been a small explosion in science lab 13." He continued. "As you can see, the majority of the crew are off the ship on shore leave. So we are here to investigate... I asked for a medic to join us in case there were casualties."

Those flickering lights are starting to make me a little dizzy. I'll have to file a work-order with engineering to come and fix this... or I could just do it myself... umm... maybe later...

== Tag folks. I'll continue to move this along once we have a few replies. Smile ==
"It's nice to meet you, Dr. Noxi. Amila Ra'an," Amila smiled at the Doctor and made polite introductions, but she was distracted, already looking around the lab for anything that seemed off-kilter.

== Tag Noxi, and of course, Folks. ==
== Should have asked, does Amila notice anything while she's looking around? ==
== The GM dude. ==

Amila and the rest of the officers were still in the hallway outside the lab. With that in mind, there was nothing special about the empty hallway, other than the creepy lights flickering. As the group walked closer to their destination, they the doors with a sign identifying them as Science Lab - 13.

From underneath the door, there was white smoke seeping out. A keen eye will observe that the smoke volume was decreasing with time, indicating that the ship's Life support and filtration systems were doing their job trying to clear the room.

== Not the GM dude ==

As they arrived at Science Lab - 13 Ameen rushed forward trying to open the door, but he quickly realized that the door was locked from the inside.

"Delta." He looked in the Andorian Security Officer's direction. "Try to use your security access to overwrite the lock..." He said with urgency...

This looks worse than I thought...

== Tag fol... err... everyone. Tongue ==
"If I may, commander?" Amila said approaching the door's controls.

Amila used her fingernails and pried off the panel covering the wiring behind the door codes. She'd learned a thing or two about picking locks and hot-wiring ships growing up on Orion.

== She getting in trouble for this? Going to be allowed to proceed? Successful, or? Thanks! ==
== The GM- Dude. ==

The security access attempt failed. It appears that the mechanism was jammed.

== Not the GM dude ==

Their first try to open the doors was not met with any success. Ameen, as the engineer in the team was going to step up and give it at try but Ra'an to his surprise took the initiative.

"If I may, commander?" She asked.

"Be my guest..." Morad replied somewhat amused as he watched her use her finger nails to force open the panel.

Smooth... She is very good with her fingers... doesn't even need any engineering tools...

She began to work on the wires in the panel and with a wooshing sound the door opened... a cloud of smoke escaped the room before the ship's ventilation systems in the hallway vacuumed it quickly.

With the smoke cleared they entered the lab. Inside the found a science officer laying motionless on the floor. A few feet away from the lab's main counter. On it, they could see a strange artifact pulsating with a dark green glow.

Ra'an recognized the science officer as an archeologist. He had made a move on her a get together with other science officers a few nights back but she had made it clear that she was not interested. For the moment, his name was escaping her though...

As for the artifact itself, she was not sure what it was. However, it was clear to her that the archeologist had it placed it within a containment canister as per protocol. However, from the shards of glass littering the floor, it was clear that something had caused it to shatter. Those canisters were designed to be quite sturdy, so this incident was probably what caused the explosion they heard and felt.

"What happened here..." Ameen spoke first...

== Tag ==
Amila took in the entire scene, pausing to look at the science officer on the floor and looked at Dr. Noxi, "Is he okay?" she asked. "We should get him out of there, but I don't know how close we should get to that thing."

Barely peering into the doorway just enough to slip her tricorder into the room to try to scan the artifact, Ra'an tried to get readings from the pulsating green object. "I also wonder why he locked the door like that. Makes me wonder if it was the officer..." Gosh why can't I remember. his name right now, Amila thought criticizing herself. "Or if that artifact did it somehow. I hope he took good logs before he got started."

She looked to the Commander, "Orders sir?" 

== Tag Noxi and and Ameen. == 

== Tag GM dude what do Amila's scan's show. (and for Noxi is nameless flirt ok or is a he science red shirt?" ==
== The GM-Dude  Cool ==

The scans showed the artifact was emitting some kind of a subspace signal! Possibly trying to communicate with someone? The scientist may have triggered that response when he was examining it. 

As for the archeologist, Ra'an finally remembered his name as Lieutenant Billy Jones. He was wearing a silly hat at the event which she did not like at the time. I mean who wears a hat at a meet and greet event, right?

If Noxi had scanned him, she will see that he was unconscious, most likely due to inhaling too much smoke from the containment field explosion.

== T.A.G. ==
Noxi nodded.

"Dr. Nairut," she corrected. "I am Bajoran," she said. Noxi was her first name. She nodded. "That is wise," she replied. "Lead the way."
Noxi followed the pair, alert to danger. She watched as they interacted-her first few days, she usually just watched. You could learn a lot from people by how they interacted.

She watched the Orion woman pry open a panel. Impressive. She coughed a bit as the smoke hit, though it disappeared quickly, thanks to the ventilation system.

She stepped forward, Tricorder ready.

"Please, let me check him." She said. She scanned the man from head to toe. "He's unconscious," she said. "Likely smoke inhalation. It would be best protocols to let me treat him in medical."

==Tag: GM-Dude, Amila, Ameen==

(nameless flirt is fine lol).
"I'm getting a subspace signal coming from the artifact, Commander," Amila said stepping in to get a better read on the artifact, carefully avoiding Dr. Nairut. "A homing signal or another attempt to communicate possibly. We should have the Bridge see if the universal translator can make any sense of it."

Amila tried to access the LCARS terminal where Officer Jones was working, but it was fried. "I'll have to see what I can find out about where this came from. I don't remember seeing it." She looked down where the doctor was working. She had been flattered by the pass he had made at her at the party the other night, even if she wasn't interested. "Is he going to be okay?" she asked.

== TAG y'all ==
"Please, let me check him." Dr Nairut said. She scanned the man from head to toe. "He's unconscious," she said. "Likely smoke inhalation. It would be best protocols to let me treat him in medical."

Ameen instinctively was going to call for a transport to sickbay but then he remembered something...

"Umm... the transporter crew is on shore leave. No one is manning it at the moment... space dock protocol I guess..." He shrugged. "If his life is not danger, do what you can with your medical kit for now, In the meantime I'll call someone to operate the transporter."

"I'm getting a subspace signal coming from the artifact, Commander," Amila said stepping in to get a better read on the artifact, carefully avoiding Dr. Nairut. "A homing signal or another attempt to communicate possibly. We should have the Bridge see if the universal translator can make any sense of it."

"A homing signal? it is calling someone... who?" Morad scratched his scruffy chin thoughtfully... "Sure go ahead and ask the bridge to try and translate it. In the mean time, can you identify the inscriptions on it? Sorry Ra'an, I never asked before... but what is your science specialty?"

== Nairut: Check out this page for some ideas on what equipment you may have in your medical kit. I find it quite useful Smile 

https://wiki.fed-space.com/index.php?tit..._Equipment ==
Amila looked over and smiled at the Commander. She guessed she shouldn't be that surprised, there were a thousand officers on the ship of course he wouldn't have the science department's specialties memorized, but still it amused her that he asked. "Physics... temporal mechanics that sorta stuff. Not much of an archaeologist unfortunately. Lt. Jones obviously figured something out. Or maybe he didn't... After I get the comm established, I'll see if there is anything in his logs, Commander. "

Amila didn't want to try to move the artifact, so she found a portable terminal and brought it near the artifact. She tapped her communicator, "Ensign Ra'an to Bridge. Is someone there able to run this signal through our comms and see if our UT can make anything of it. We have an artifact in the science lab that appears to be sending a signal."

== Tag GM Dude, Noxi, and the Commander. I should throw this tag in the Bridge too, yeah? ==
==From the Bridge in response to Ra'an==

A quick response from the bridge came through with the voice of the new tactical officer:

[Ensign Ra'an, this is Midshipman Powl. I am attempting to run the signal through the Universal Translator now.]
"Physics... temporal mechanics that sorta stuff. Not much of an archaeologist unfortunately. Lt. Jones obviously figured something out. Or maybe he didn't... After I get the comm established, I'll see if there is anything in his logs, Commander. " Ra'an said.

Ameen moved to take a look at the same terminal, they were standing right next to each other now, and he leaned a little closer to see better. 

"Did you say temporal mechanics? As an engineer, I am ashamed to say that that was the only type of mechanics that gave me all kinds of headaches... I'm glad you are here." He said and turned his head to face her. Then he was caught looking at her beautiful smile and deep into her violet eyes for a long second.

What a unique color... there is something in there... I feel like it's pulling me in... 

His head started to slowly tilt and move closer to hers as if he was under some sort of a spell for a split second before the reply came from sickbay.

[Ensign Ra'an, this is Midshipman Powl. I am attempting to run the signal through the Universal Translator now.]

The first officer blinked once then he pulled back quickly, remembering where they were and the situation they were dealing with. "To.. err.. take care of any temporal mechanics issue that comes up I mean... of course."

Saved by the bell so to speak... what the hek is wrong with me... I need to check in with sickbay or something... Ever since our act in the last mission I can't stop thinking about her... but even so, this was too strange... 

He glanced at Doctor Nairut hoping that she did not just notice what had happened. 

The timing is terrible... 

Trying to refocus on the task at hand, he took out his tricorder and began to scan the object.

"Ahem... This is strange, my scans cannot penetrate the outer shell. It is shielded somehow... Some kind of an alloy I cannot identify... hmm..."

== Tagz ==
Did you say temporal mechanics? As an engineer, I am ashamed to say that that was the only type of mechanics that gave me all kinds of headaches... I'm glad you are here." He said and turned his head to face her. Then he was caught looking at her beautiful smile and deep into her violet eyes for a long second.

Amila felt the tension between as Ameen looked at her a moment too long. They locked eyes and she froze, her heart seeming to skip a beat in her chest. She had developed a crush on him after their last mission, but she was certain he didn't feel the same way.

His head started to slowly tilt and move closer to hers as if he was under some sort of a spell for a split second before the reply came from the Bridge.

Amila flinched when the noise from the communicator came through. It was so loud.

The first officer blinked once then he pulled back quickly, remembering where they were and the situation they were dealing with. "To.. err.. take care of any temporal mechanics issue that comes up I mean... of course."

Amila brushed what had just happened off with a lighthearted laugh. "That's one reason I put it in my curriculum. I knew it was everyone's headache - I figured if I could master it, then it wouldn't seem so daunting."

Ameen took out his tricorder and began to scan the object.

"Ahem... This is strange, my scans cannot penetrate the outer shell. It is shielded somehow... Some kind of an alloy I cannot identify... hmm..."

"We brought an object aboard that was made of something our databases don't even recognize... and now it's sending out some kind of beacon. We found Lieutenant Jones on the floor. None of this feels right. What are the odds that whoever this thing is calling is friendly?" Amila asked. "Wait a minute... what if it isn't a thing at all? I'm probably wrong, but we've ran into stranger err... lifeforms that are even more different than this. What if it's alive..."

"Dr. Nairut?"

== Tag... also poor Jones. ===
Noxi got right to work, opening her kit and extracting her tricorder, as well as her hyposprays and phyisostimulator. She applied the stimulator first, to jump-start the man's internal workings, and kept a read on him as she did so. She issued some medications via the hyposprays-one dose of adrenaline, and one dose of pain reliever. "I should get him back to a biobed; he's inhaled a lot of smoke, but I understand."

She stood up as the man started to sputter. She wouldn't know yet if he was going to pull through fully or just stay unconscious but more alert.

"He's in pain but I did what I could. What about this object? Is it like one of our orbs?" She asked.

==Tag...===
"We brought an object aboard that was made of something our databases don't even recognize..." said Ra'an, "and now it's sending out some kind of beacon. We found Lieutenant Jones on the floor. None of this feels right. What are the odds that whoever this thing is calling is friendly?" Amila asked. "Wait a minute... what if it isn't a thing at all? I'm probably wrong, but we've ran into stranger err... lifeforms that are even more different than this. What if it's alive..."

Oh I didn't think of that... but...

"You are right! Could there be a life form protecting itself inside this shell? Maybe it slumbered in here for ages and Jones woke them up!... we need to test that theory without harming them... any suggestions? How is Jones is doing by the way. I'd love to have a chat with him." Ameen asked.

"Dr. Nairut?" Amila asked.

"I should get him back to a biobed; he's inhaled a lot of smoke, but I understand." The Doctor replied. "He's in pain but I did what I could. What about this object? Is it like one of our orbs?"

So he is stable for now. That will do...

"It could be. We are about to test the theory that it could be a life form, or housing one. If you have an ideas on how to do that, I'm all ears."

== Tag ==
== Since the mission is starting, we should continue this subplot in the subplot thread. We will consider it running in its own timeline prior to the crew recall the Captain just posted. ==
== 10-4 Sorry it's been a busy few weeks, got a couple more until I'm human again. Or Orion. Or whatever you want me to be. ==
== No problem, I'll set up a thread to continue this in the Subplot section. It will simply be called the Dr Jone's Artifact ==