State of the Site - June 2023
Good Afternoon Fed-Space Family! It's June, so it's time for another quarterly State of the Site update for the membership!

Membership

We are currently down two full members since my previous update, bringing our total number of active members to 38. The good news is we have a handful of Cadets currently coming through the Academy, which should hopefully start filling some of the gaps in our rosters.

Here is a breakdown of the active player numbers on each ship - PRC and SRC characters only, as NRCs do not contribute to crew numbers when we decide whether a ship/department is empty or full. Players on LOA are added in brackets at the end, as they are not currently active members of the crew until they return.

Aquila: 7 PRCs, 1 SRC
Artemis: 10 PRCs, 1 SRC
Charon: 5 PRCs (2 on LOA)
Geronimo: 7 PRCs, 2 SRCs
Titania: 6 PRCs, 2 SRCs

As you can see this list puts the Artemis at the top end of the personnel assigned, being one away from "full" and no longer being in consideration for Cadets or new rated characters except in special situations. Charon is on the other end, at the smallest crew with between 5 and 7 active players.

Recruitment/New Member Placement

Obviously we try to put new members with their friends or recruiters, because that just makes sense. However, the needs of the site sometimes come first, and we as Admins also have to take into account whether or not a new member will have a mentor when they are assigned to their new ships.

Because of this, we try to assign new members without specific requests to crews that have had the vacancies for longest, unless that department has no active DH; this is because it's the DH's job to mentor new players, and putting that added responsibility on the CO or FO often isn't fair given the other OOC stuff they have to do as part of their position.

Missions

All five starships are currently on their assigned missions, to varying degrees of completion:

The Artemis and Geronimo have both been on-mission for 5 months (as of June 13).
Charon has been on mission for 6 and a half months.
Titania has been on-mission for 7 months (as of June 17).
Aquila has been on-mission for 7 months and 1 week.

From my own observations based on posts and mission outlines, it seems as though Artemis is in the endgame of their mission. Titania and Aquila appear to be between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way through their missions (Titania maybe at 3/4). Geronimo is about 1/2 way through. Charon appears to be about 1/3 of the way through.

Other Announcements

Going live on Monday will be the new format Yearly Awards; these were stopped due to being perceived as nothing more than a popularity contest, and allegations of rigged results from members who felt they should have won and did not. The idea is to celebrate the winners for their contribution to the site, and that is the tone I intend the awards to take

We will also be using this time to award the President's Medal (which will probably need renaming since we don't have one any more) to a single member each year who has shown exceptional dedication to the site. I have to discuss the format with Autumn in order to determine whether we will accept nominations this year or if the two of us will simply decide.

In future these will be held in January/February so winners can be announced on the Site Birthday of March 1.

Creative Corner Questions and Ask an Admin will also be returning, where people can ask questions about how missions are written or assigned, or how the site works and how they can contribute more to it. Not all questions will be able to be responded to publicly, but the idea is that everyone who has a question or an idea will get some sort of response.

As always, if you have questions or comments please feel free to reach out to me via e-mail or on Discord. I have an open-door policy, though sometimes it may take a few days to respond!